Thread: Browsers Back Button Generates Page Expired Warning

Keith Bowell Guest

Browsers Back Button Generates Page Expired Warning

I use ASP-db to display a table of available PDFs and allow the user to click the title within the table to view the PDF.

I have one web page that displays a small listing of PDFs; therefore, I display the complete listing (EAE.dbGridInc="-1&#34 and I do not use dbStartup=filter.

Depending on how the user's browser is configured the user can view the PDF with the Acrobat Plugin or within the separate Acrobat Reader's window. If the user is configured to use the plugin and clicks the browers back button
    to return to the table, the brower redisplays the table without any problems.

However, I have another web page that displays a different catagory of PDFs. This catagory contains a large number PDF; so, I use the dbStartup=filter to allow the user to select a specific file or a subset of files. Now, when the
    plugin user clicks the browser's back button the browser displays the page has expired warning and the user has to click refresh and repost the web page.

Why or better yet what can be done to stop the browser from requiring a refresh?

The only thing I can think of is that I would need to separate the large listing's web page into two pages; one to display a form that calls a second web page to display the grid in the same way as the small listing web page. I have not taken the time to try this and I would like to keep everything in
    one ASP file.

John Guest

Browsers Back Button Generates Page Expired Warning (reply)

Hi Keith,

When you say you the page displays the "expired warning" and user has to click refresh, do you mean the "post" message? What exactly is the "expired" message? Do you see it in both Netscape and IE?

Here's a good way to narrow down what the cause of the problem is. When you see the expired message, click on VIEW SOURCE and save the source file to a simple HTM file. You should be able to then link to that HTM file (from your previous file) and generate the "expired warning" at will, without ASP-db being used at all. Once you're got that happening, then start stripping off all non-essential code. You should end up with less than a dozen lines of code that shows the problem. Next, you should try and modify that HTM (or the calling program)to correct the problem if it's possible.

If you can show us any changes we can make to our FORM statements, etc. that allieviate the problem, then we'll see if we can modify our generated HTML to do that.

Unfortunately, you might be in a situation where no amount of HTML will make it all work from a single page. If breaking it into two pages solves the problem, that may be the quickest and cleanest solution.

Let us know if there's anything on our end that we need to do to suppress this expired warning message and we'll see what we can do.

Thanks,
    John

On 2/24/99 10:23:48 AM, Keith Bowell wrote:
    > I use ASP-db to display a table of available PDFs and allow the user to
    > click the title within the table to view the PDF.

I have one web page
    > that displays a small listing of PDFs; therefore, I display the complete
    > listing (EAE.dbGridInc="-1&#34 and I do not use
    > dbStartup=filter.

Depending on how the user's browser is configured
    > the user can view the PDF with the Acrobat Plugin or within the separate
    > Acrobat Reader's window. If the user is configured to use the plugin
    > and clicks the browers back button
    to return to the table, the brower
    > redisplays the table without any problems.

However, I have another web
    > page that displays a different catagory of PDFs. This catagory contains a
    > large number PDF; so, I use the dbStartup=filter to allow the user to
    > select a specific file or a subset of files. Now, when the
    plugin user
    > clicks the browser's back button the browser displays the page has
    > expired warning and the user has to click refresh and repost the web
    > page.

Why or better yet what can be done to stop the browser from
    > requiring a refresh?

The only thing I can think of is that I would need
    > to separate the large listing's web page into two pages; one to display
    > a form that calls a second web page to display the grid in the same way as
    > the small listing web page. I have not taken the time to try this and I
    > would like to keep everything in
    one ASP file.

Keith Bowell Guest

To answer your questions:

When you say the page displays the "expired warning" and user has to click refresh, do you mean the "post" message? Yes

What exactly is the "expired" message?

The page you requested was created using information you submitted in a form. This page is no longer available. As a security precaution, Internet Explorer does not automatically resubmit your information for you.

To resubmit your information and view this Web page, click the Refresh button.

Do you see it in both Netscape and IE?

It seems to happen only in IE. I am using IE 4.0 and Adobe Acrbat 3.0.

I plan to try the new Adobe Reader 4.0 to se if that clears the problem.

John Guest

Hi Keith,

You might also try lowering your security settings to MEDIUM. Yours may be at HIGH right now? If that does the trick, post a reply. Thanks!

John

On 2/28/99 5:57:12 PM, Keith Bowell wrote:
    > To answer your questions:

When you say the page displays the
    > "expired warning" and user has to click refresh, do you mean the
    > "post" message? Yes

What exactly is the "expired"
    > message?

The page you requested was created using information you
    > submitted in a form. This page is no longer available. As a security
    > precaution, Internet Explorer does not automatically resubmit your
    > information for you.

To resubmit your information and view this Web
    > page, click the Refresh button.

Do you see it in both Netscape and
    > IE?

It seems to happen only in IE. I am using IE 4.0 and Adobe Acrbat
    > 3.0.

I plan to try the new Adobe Reader 4.0 to se if that clears the problem.