Thread: 2 Issues and a Question

John Phillips Guest

2 Issues and a Question

I have found a couple of issues when converting to using aspdbEP from aspdbpro. The first is that the mydb.dbGridInc=-1 doesn't seem to work anymore - i.e show all the returned rows, I have to set it to a large number to do this. The second is that unless I use mydb.dbreset(db_unit) the page 'remembers' and displays the number of rows it displayed last time it was openned rather than the number in the current rowset. This seems to happen even if the number of rows is explicitly set using dbrecordcount.

Are these bugs or changes to the way aspdb works?

Note that I am connecting to an Oracle 8 database using the Microsoft Oracle ODBC driver and with mydb.dbDBType="ORACLE,Server".

My question is about the agregate facility (which is extremely useful by the way!). Is there any way to hide columns in the aggregate row in the same way that you can in the rowset (using mydb.dbGridHideFlds)? I cannot find an equivalent property in the documentation or examples. I realise that I can alter the agregate SQL but this would be alot more complicated.

Thanks,
    John

John Guest

2 Issues and a Question (reply)

Hi John,

First, we changed the behavior of dbGridInc=-1 intentionally. People were complaining that when they had large databases (100k to 100m records) that when they had dbGridInc=-1 it took too long to display all 100k records on the client's browser or it would blow up the client browser. We think that's pretty obvious, but they still thought it "safer" to MAKE them set the limit rather than have us dump all. If they typed in 999999 they're much more aware that they could dump a million records to the screen!

Second, the dbReset has been enhanced and you should contact us to get the latest version to make sure that your anomaly is resolved.

Third you can easily "hide" columns you don't want to see on the Aggregate totals row by using the COLSPAN tag. Here's a line from our example at http://www.aspdb.com/v2/V2_agg1.asp:

X.dbAggNameTag="ColSPAN=3 align=right"

By settings the COLSPAN to the number of columns you want blank, and settings the zAggName property to blank, etc. you'll have your desired effect.

Thanks,
    John

------------
    John Phillips at 5/11/99 6:21:13 AM

I have found a couple of issues when converting to using aspdbEP from aspdbpro. The first is that the mydb.dbGridInc=-1 doesn't seem to work anymore - i.e show all the returned rows, I have to set it to a large number to do this. The second is that unless I use mydb.dbreset(db_unit) the page 'remembers' and displays the number of rows it displayed last time it was openned rather than the number in the current rowset. This seems to happen even if the number of rows is explicitly set using dbrecordcount.

Are these bugs or changes to the way aspdb works?

Note that I am connecting to an Oracle 8 database using the Microsoft Oracle ODBC driver and with mydb.dbDBType="ORACLE,Server".

My question is about the agregate facility (which is extremely useful by the way!). Is there any way to hide columns in the aggregate row in the same way that you can in the rowset (using mydb.dbGridHideFlds)? I cannot find an equivalent property in the documentation or examples. I realise that I can alter the agregate SQL but this would be alot more complicated.

Thanks,
    John