Thread: SQL 6.5 and standard security

Greg Guest

SQL 6.5 and standard security

Hiya all....

I've inherited a SQL 6.5 server running on Windows NT 4.0. An application was written (I believe in VB 6.0) to access tables on the server. From the documentation that I have received, I believe that the Security mode for this server is supposed to be "Standard". When I first got my hands on the server, the security mode was set to "Integrated". I have since changed it "Standard" but the users still get the same error:

Connection failed:
    SQL State" '08004'
    SQL Server Error: 18450
    [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server] Login failed. User: MCLEANC Reason: Not Defined as a valid user of a trusted SQL Server connection.

I looked in the Microsoft Knowledgebase and read an article on SQL Server Error 18450 (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q164167). I followed all of their suggestions but the server still seems to be stuck in "Integrated" mode.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Greg

Ray Miao Guest

SQL 6.5 and standard security (reply)

Did you connect with sql id or nt id?

------------
    Greg at 6/11/2002 1:24:30 PM

Hiya all....

I've inherited a SQL 6.5 server running on Windows NT 4.0. An application was written (I believe in VB 6.0) to access tables on the server. From the documentation that I have received, I believe that the Security mode for this server is supposed to be "Standard". When I first got my hands on the server, the security mode was set to "Integrated". I have since changed it "Standard" but the users still get the same error:

Connection failed:
    SQL State" '08004'
    [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server] Login failed. User: MCLEANC Reason: Not Defined as a valid user of a trusted SQL Server connection.

I looked in the Microsoft Knowledgebase and read an article on SQL Server Error 18450 (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q164167). I followed all of their suggestions but the server still seems to be stuck in "Integrated" mode.

Thanks

Greg

pan Guest

SQL 6.5 and standard security (reply)

Greg,

After you have changed the security mode, you have to restart sql server to activate the new settings.

Good luck

------------
    Ray Miao at 6/11/2002 4:32:52 PM

Did you connect with sql id or nt id?

------------
    Greg at 6/11/2002 1:24:30 PM

Hiya all....

Connection failed:
    SQL State" '08004'

Thanks

Greg