Thread: Re-Indexing

Lauryn Guest

Re-Indexing

What should I be looking at if I have real-time data (constant transactions) writing to a table that is experiencing index type problems? The table needs to constantly be re-indexed, which is slowing the whole transaction process down.

What can I look at or do to rectify this?

Thanks!

Ray Miao Guest

Re-Indexing (reply)

Why the table needs to constantly be re-indexed? Can't be once a day?

------------
    Lauryn at 6/13/2002 11:25:53 AM

What should I be looking at if I have real-time data (constant transactions) writing to a table that is experiencing index type problems? The table needs to constantly be re-indexed, which is slowing the whole transaction process down.

Thanks!

Re-Indexing (reply)

Ok, to clarify...

What would cause a table to require reindexing on a daily basis if it has 100 transactions per second writing to it? Also, the sql service cannot be stopped for down time and the whole process of data writes and daily reindexing is grinding the database to a halt.

Could I be using the wrong type of index, too many indexes, too few or could it be something else? What (or where) would I start to look to increase the current performance?

Thanks.

------------
    Ray Miao at 6/13/2002 11:37:06 AM

------------

Thanks!

rogerjh Guest

Re-Indexing (reply)

How large is the table (row count)? How large (in bytes) is each row? Answering these questions will help determine why this happening. For example, if the table has a relatively low row count, but many indexes (on large fields), transactions affect indexes much more in relation to a large table with many rows.

------------
    at 6/14/2002 6:53:08 AM

Ok, to clarify...

What would cause a table to require reindexing on a daily basis if it has 100 transactions per second writing to it? Also, the sql service cannot be stopped for down time and the whole process of data writes and daily reindexing is grinding the database to a halt.

Could I be using the wrong type of index, too many indexes, too few or could it be something else? What (or where) would I start to look to increase the current performance?

Thanks.

------------
    Ray Miao at 6/13/2002 11:37:06 AM

------------

Thanks!