Thread: dbEditParams - EditValidateName Limitation

Abb Kestler Guest

dbEditParams - EditValidateName Limitation

I just tried dbEditParams' EditValidateName and it works great except that I can't cancel the edit(s) when the user changes his or her mind and presses the "Return" submit. There's no way that I can tell (at the browser) which button caused the submit.

Is there anyway that we can get access to the "onClick" for each submit...or at least the "Return"? I could then control whether or not the edits should take place.

John Guest

dbEditParams - EditValidateName Limitation (reply)

Hi Abb,

We had a lot of discussion about this issue you brought up. Concensus seems to be that the right solution is to take out the RETURN button completely. If the user wants to return back to their previous screen and "do nothing", then they should just press their BACK button on their browser. There's always been the confusion of "Does RETURN execute something and then return, or Abort and Return?" Well, removing the button eliminates this problem along with the validation one you're experiencing. We can't think of any other web sites that put a "return" button in that does nothing more than just a BACK function. Can you?

We'd be interested in your and others feedback. Our inclination now is to remove the RETURN button - at least have an option to remove it.

Let us know!

John

------------
    Abb Kestler at 3/8/99 7:46:15 AM

I just tried dbEditParams' EditValidateName and it works great except that I can't cancel the edit(s) when the user changes his or her mind and presses the "Return" submit. There's no way that I can tell (at the browser) which button caused the submit.

Is there anyway that we can get access to the "onClick" for each submit...or at least the "Return"? I could then control whether or not the edits should take place.