Thread: Filter screen comes up slowly

Zeev Guest

Filter screen comes up slowly

I previously asked a similar question - apparently it was not clear.

My table has 100K records and in both cases below dbStartup='filter' is used;
    What interests me is the time taken for the filter screen to appear and not the actual running of the query/report.

Case 1: The DbSQL sql statement has no "order by" clause - the filter screen appears after 15-20 seconds

Case 2: The DbSQL sql statement has an "order by" clause - the filter screen does not appear at all, as the request times out after 2 minutes or so.

Regarding the above observations, my questions are:
    1. why does the "order by" affect the speed of appearance of the ASP-db filter screen?
    2. shouldn't the filter screen come up a lot faster than 15 seconds (as it indeed does for tables with small populations)

Thanks in advance

Mark Guest

Filter screen comes up slowly (reply)

Zeev,

I don't know if this will help or not, but it's worth a try. Try adding a "FilterOnEntry". Let me know if that helps. See our Programming Example 9c at: http://208.196.181.86/apps
    Since you are starting with a filter screen, the FilterOnEntry won't be remembered at all. It will just limit the initial number of records being read.

Mark.

------------
    Zeev at 3/14/01 4:10:57 AM

What interests me is the time taken for the filter screen to appear and not the actual running of the query/report.

Case 1: The DbSQL sql statement has no "order by" clause - the filter screen appears after 15-20 seconds

Case 2: The DbSQL sql statement has an "order by" clause - the filter screen does not appear at all, as the request times out after 2 minutes or so.

1. why does the "order by" affect the speed of appearance of the ASP-db filter screen?
    2. shouldn't the filter screen come up a lot faster than 15 seconds (as it indeed does for tables with small populations)

Thanks in advance

Frank Kwong Guest

Filter screen comes up slowly (reply)

Order By is the biggest speed killer of SQL. Make sure the Order By field is indexed !!

------------
    Zeev at 3/14/01 4:10:57 AM

Thanks in advance