Thread: Date Variable In SQL Statement. Going Nuts!

4AMFriday Guest

Date Variable In SQL Statement. Going Nuts!

Hey Guys. I really hope someone can help me here as I am ready to pull my hair out. This is driving me totally nuts.

Why can't I get any records returned when I compare a date field in my database to a date formated variable in my asp script. For instance, assume the field "AppointDate" = 2/19/2002.

The following is just for the sake of argument.
    CalDate = formatDateTime(Date(), 2)

The line above should return a variable that equals "02/19/2002"
    If I just used the "Date()" function by itself, the function would return the same exact date "02/19/2002."

The following SQL statement returns nothing.
    SQL = "SELECT Count(*) As AppDate From Guests WHERE AppointDate = " & CalDate

The following SQL statement returns the correct count.
    SQL = "SELECT Count(*) As AppDate From Guests WHERE AppointDate = Date()"

In my script, the variable "CalDate" holds different dates that change within a loop command, which is why I can't just use the "Date()" command with my SQL statement. Maybe I am just stupid or something, but can you use a variable formated as a date with in an SQL statement, or just the "Date()" or "Now()" functions? What gives?

John Guest

Date Variable In SQL Statement. Going Nuts! (reply)

Hi,

Check out the SQL forums out here for a better chance at some help.

Thanks,
    John

------------
    4AMFriday at 2/19/2002 12:45:25 PM

Hey Guys. I really hope someone can help me here as I am ready to pull my hair out. This is driving me totally nuts.

Why can't I get any records returned when I compare a date field in my database to a date formated variable in my asp script. For instance, assume the field "AppointDate" = 2/19/2002.

If I just used the "Date()" function by itself, the function would return the same exact date "02/19/2002."

In my script, the variable "CalDate" holds different dates that change within a loop command, which is why I can't just use the "Date()" command with my SQL statement. Maybe I am just stupid or something, but can you use a variable formated as a date with in an SQL statement, or just the "Date()" or "Now()" functions? What gives?

Frank Kwong Guest

one thing to check is to see whether both dates have HH:MM:SS attached. If one has it then the chance of a match is NONE.

------------
    John at 2/19/2002 1:15:39 PM

Hi,

Thanks,
    John

------------

Brian Guest

I think you have to convert both the database value and the query parameter to date values and then do the comparison. The Date values will actually differ in incriments of 1 = 1 day...

------------
    Frank Kwong at 2/20/2002 7:19:23 AM

one thing to check is to see whether both dates have HH:MM:SS attached. If one has it then the chance of a match is NONE.

------------
    John at 2/19/2002 1:15:39 PM

Hi,

Thanks,
    John

------------

Indra Guest

Try this:
    SQL = "SELECT Count(*) As AppDate From Guests WHERE AppointDate = '" & CalDate & "'"

Good luck!

------------