Thread: Show the description in the Drop Down Filter but search by the code

Aspdb Tester Guest

Show the description in the Drop Down Filter but search by the code

I would like to display the detail table in a grid and show a drop down for the code column, but instead of showing the code on the drop down, I want to show the description field(reading the general table).

It's possible to that on AspDb?
    Is this a known limitation?

I have data like this:

Table Name : General
    ====================
    Code Description
    ---- -----------
    001 first
    002 second
    003 third

Table Name : Detail
    ====================
    Code Name
    ---- -----------
    001 one
    002 two
    003 three

===========================================
    Thanks

Frank Kwong Guest

Show the description in the Drop Down Filter but search by the code (reply)

Master - Details - The classic application. Becasue ASP-db can be operated in a multi-modules fashion (dbUnit), there is really no limitations becasue the master and detail (tables/forms/templates) behavior can be described separately. Don't be distracted by the standard modes. They are just quickies. After that you can use templates, multi-modules etc to customize the look and feel. To go into the advanced zone.. check out the dynamic list example in the front page right hand side...

FK
    ------------
    Aspdb Tester at 1/16/2002 11:57:45 AM

I would like to display the detail table in a grid and show a drop down for the code column, but instead of showing the code on the drop down, I want to show the description field(reading the general table).

I have data like this:

====================
    Code Description
    ---- -----------
    001 first
    002 second
    003 third

====================
    Code Name
    ---- -----------
    001 one
    002 two
    003 three

Thanks

Aspdb Teste Guest

Show the description in the Drop Down Filter but search by the code

Hi Frank,

I checked the templates, but none of them show how to display description on a Drop down and actually submit the code, It is something that, commonly, you can do with third parties controls but you can't with the common html controls.

Maybe I wasn't clear, I'm looking to show a description name on the drop down list, a user friendly text, but actually submit the code of that text.

It's posible to assign a drop down list to fill the description with for eg.
    "Select CategoryDescription from Categories" and assign a code to every that descriptions?

Thanks Frank.
    ------------
    Frank Kwong at 1/16/2002 7:40:18 PM

Master - Details - The classic application. Becasue ASP-db can be operated in a multi-modules fashion (dbUnit), there is really no limitations becasue the master and detail (tables/forms/templates) behavior can be described separately. Don't be distracted by the standard modes. They are just quickies. After that you can use templates, multi-modules etc to customize the look and feel. To go into the advanced zone.. check out the dynamic list example in the front page right hand side...

FK
    ------------

I have data like this:

====================
    Code Description
    ---- -----------
    001 first
    002 second
    003 third

====================
    Code Name
    ---- -----------
    001 one
    002 two
    003 three

Thanks

Frank Kwong Guest

That is Dropdown with a lookup... very classical with ASP-db. Check out the examples on the site. Got to be something there.

Frank

------------
    Aspdb Teste at 1/17/2002 8:44:25 AM

Hi Frank,

I checked the templates, but none of them show how to display description on a Drop down and actually submit the code, It is something that, commonly, you can do with third parties controls but you can't with the common html controls.

Maybe I wasn't clear, I'm looking to show a description name on the drop down list, a user friendly text, but actually submit the code of that text.

"Select CategoryDescription from Categories" and assign a code to every that descriptions?

Thanks Frank.
    ------------

FK
    ------------

I have data like this:

====================
    Code Description
    ---- -----------
    001 first
    002 second
    003 third

====================
    Code Name
    ---- -----------
    001 one
    002 two
    003 three

Thanks

Donna Guest

I happen to know there are many good programming examples at
    http://www.mmstools.com/ep/
    Example 1 might be close to what you want.
    I hope that helps.
    Donna

------------
    Frank Kwong at 1/17/2002 12:17:55 PM

That is Dropdown with a lookup... very classical with ASP-db. Check out the examples on the site. Got to be something there.

Frank

------------

Hi Frank,

Thanks Frank.
    ------------

FK
    ------------

I have data like this:

====================
    Code Description
    ---- -----------
    001 first
    002 second
    003 third

====================
    Code Name
    ---- -----------
    001 one
    002 two
    003 three

Thanks

Aspdb Tester Guest

Thanks Donna,

I checked this example, I try to code as the example shows, but there is one limitation, this example shows the LOOK-UP Feature within the same table, in this example both fields are on the same table; I have one field(the code) in one table and the other field (the description) in another table.
    I went to the aspdb manual and it shows the same example, two fields in one table; I went to the forum and I searched for "Look" and later "Look-up" and I found a some people looking for the same kind of example that I'm looking too. If you get the look-up from two tables available as an example, please let me know.

THANK YOU!

------------
    Donna at 1/18/2002 10:38:04 PM

I happen to know there are many good programming examples at
    http://www.mmstools.com/ep/
    Example 1 might be close to what you want.
    I hope that helps.
    Donna

------------
    Frank Kwong at 1/17/2002 12:17:55 PM

Frank

------------

Hi Frank,

Thanks Frank.
    ------------

FK
    ------------

I have data like this:

====================
    Code Description
    ---- -----------
    001 first
    002 second
    003 third

====================