Thread: Access or SQL Server?

amanda Guest

Access or SQL Server?

Here's the scenario:

Online directory
    Access restricted to registered users
    2 main tables to search, each containing 50,000 - 200,000 records
    Create and Update record will be used, but only by registered users on their own records.
    Potential of 200,000 visitors on launch date (many will be registering and adding records)

Do I need SQL Server or will Access 2000 cope?

If it won't - how many visitors/records could it cope with?

I'm not too concerned about future upgrade issues, my main priority is getting the initial version live asap - I can worry about upgrading to SQL Server later if necessary

A million thanks to anyone who can help

Chris Guest

Access or SQL Server? (reply)

Definetly want to go with SQL Server. I have had issues pushing the multiple hundred thousand records on Access, especially in a .com environment where everyone and their brother is selecting data from the database. Also, table locking is also a concern in Access.

You also want to look at performance. You can write simple stored proc's in SQL to get your data which will allow for a cached queryplan and a better indexing schema. Plus you don't have to worry about an upgrade/conversion in the future, which can include a complete system rearchitecture.

------------
    amanda at 9/23/00 7:31:04 PM

Here's the scenario:

Online directory
    Access restricted to registered users
    2 main tables to search, each containing 50,000 - 200,000 records
    Create and Update record will be used, but only by registered users on their own records.
    Potential of 200,000 visitors on launch date (many will be registering and adding records)

Do I need SQL Server or will Access 2000 cope?

If it won't - how many visitors/records could it cope with?

I'm not too concerned about future upgrade issues, my main priority is getting the initial version live asap - I can worry about upgrading to SQL Server later if necessary

A million thanks to anyone who can help