Thread: Database Design Schema

Sridhar Raman Guest

Database Design Schema

I am about to to design user rights tables.
    My requirements are as follows.
    basically i have some 100 companies each having some 25-90 desk and each desk have 10 - 15 responsibilty centres and each resp_centre is managing 20-30 traders and each trader has many cusips
    My users have hiearchical rights some have rights at company level ie they can update for te companies they are responsiable some have rights at desk level and some have at resp_centre and some at trader and some at cusip level
    How can i implement such a system
    the following will give some idea
    User company desk resp_center traders cusip
    A * * * * * can update all records
    A1 c1 * * * * can update all recorde of company c1
    A1 c2 * * * * can update all recorde of company c2
    B1 c1 01 * * * can update all recorde of desk 01 of company c1

B1 c1 02 * * * can update all recorde of desk 02 of company c1

C1 c1 06 bav 158 * can update all cusip of trader 158 belonging to resp_center bav of desk 06 of company c1.

How can I implement This scheme. I also feel i may group user having same kind of permision.

Magnus Andersson Guest

Database Design Schema (reply)

Very good link. One of the best I've seen when it comes to solving this. Very useful.

/Magnus

------------
    JT at 10/17/00 5:12:44 PM

Please see this link to Itzik's presentation and scripts on hierarchies. It applies to human personnel hierarchies, but I believe can be used exactly as you are attempting to do...

http://sql.hi-tech.co.il/12/Twelvth.htm

------------
    Sridhar Raman at 9/28/00 4:53:06 PM

I am about to to design user rights tables.
    My requirements are as follows.
    basically i have some 100 companies each having some 25-90 desk and each desk have 10 - 15 responsibilty centres and each resp_centre is managing 20-30 traders and each trader has many cusips
    My users have hiearchical rights some have rights at company level ie they can update for te companies they are responsiable some have rights at desk level and some have at resp_centre and some at trader and some at cusip level
    How can i implement such a system
    the following will give some idea
    User company desk resp_center traders cusip
    A * * * * * can update all records
    A1 c1 * * * * can update all recorde of company c1
    A1 c2 * * * * can update all recorde of company c2
    B1 c1 01 * * * can update all recorde of desk 01 of company c1

B1 c1 02 * * * can update all recorde of desk 02 of company c1

C1 c1 06 bav 158 * can update all cusip of trader 158 belonging to resp_center bav of desk 06 of company c1.

How can I implement This scheme. I also feel i may group user having same kind of permision.