Thread: Access/intranet/client - Web/internet/1sql server design PTY

Iris Guest

Access/intranet/client - Web/internet/1sql server design PTY

Hello

I am fresh out of school, my first placement and I am designing a database. I am on my own and I am responsbile for the webserver,firewalls, the database,network and web design and I have no one with experience to consult regarding this particular venture and came to this forum, hopefully for assistance.

I have searched the knowledge base with MSACCESS 2000 and SQL7.0, I have read the online documentation and the book that came with the software and have scanned in bookstores looking for a procedure or sample that would assist me. I really don't want to make a mistake with this and would like it to run effectively and efficiently.

This is what I want to accomplish:

I want the intranet clients to use MSACCESS 2000 as their desktop application but store the data on SQL7.0. I will have 1 dedicated server for the databases. I have a webserver before a firewall with the the database behind the firewall. I want people who access the website to receive information that is coming from the SQL database. I don't want to convert MSACCESS to SQL7, but would like to use the ACCESS interface in house.

If you are willing to recommend, query for further information, suggest or assist me in anyway possible, I would appreciate it very very much.

Thanking you in advance,

Iris

Chris Guest

Access/intranet/client - Web/internet/1sql server design PTY (reply)

Hey Iris,
    Don't worry - this stuff is a walk in the park!

OK, SQL Server should be your DB, only allow internal personnel to use Access Forms as a linked interface to the tables stored in SQL Server. Internal people DONE!

Use Active Server Pages and ADO to interface with SQL Server from the frontend/website. You will probably have a whole different breed of information on the website that the internal people don't care about. Include that needed information into your SQL DB (ie.. registrations, guestbooks, comments, suggestions, etc...)

Email me offline with further questions and/or specific details.
    Good luck.

------------
    Iris at 8/31/00 10:17:20 AM

Hello

I am fresh out of school, my first placement and I am designing a database. I am on my own and I am responsbile for the webserver,firewalls, the database,network and web design and I have no one with experience to consult regarding this particular venture and came to this forum, hopefully for assistance.

I have searched the knowledge base with MSACCESS 2000 and SQL7.0, I have read the online documentation and the book that came with the software and have scanned in bookstores looking for a procedure or sample that would assist me. I really don't want to make a mistake with this and would like it to run effectively and efficiently.

This is what I want to accomplish:

I want the intranet clients to use MSACCESS 2000 as their desktop application but store the data on SQL7.0. I will have 1 dedicated server for the databases. I have a webserver before a firewall with the the database behind the firewall. I want people who access the website to receive information that is coming from the SQL database. I don't want to convert MSACCESS to SQL7, but would like to use the ACCESS interface in house.

If you are willing to recommend, query for further information, suggest or assist me in anyway possible, I would appreciate it very very much.

Thanking you in advance,

Iris