Thread: Data Modification

Sonia Guest

Data Modification

I am trying to migrate a system across and need some help tidying data and merging info.
    Firstly if I have some companies with the suffix 'Limited' and some with 'Ltd' ie BBC Ltd and BBC Limited. How do I change all these to read the company name and then Ltd??
    Secondly I am pulling info from a table which has company name duplicates into a table that also may have company details relating to that company name. I wish to add the details if the company name doesn't exist in the table and also only input the once from the source table. I am using cursors for this. My scripts see below is adding every record. Any ideas why??
    Thanks for any suggestions

CREATE PROCEDURE check_company2
    AS
    declare
    @id varchar(50),
    @company_name varchar(50),
    @business_type varchar(50),
    @hardware varchar(50),
    @operating_system varchar(50),
    @networks varchar(50),
    @pcs varchar(50),
    @terminals varchar(50),
    @test_companies_id varchar(50)
    begin
    declare s_completelist_cur cursor for select [company name],[business type],[hardware],[operating system],[networks],
    [pcs],[terminals] from s_completelist
    open s_completelist_cur

fetch next from s_completelist_cur into @company_name, @business_type, @hardware, @operating_system, @networks,@pcs, @terminals
    while (@@fetch_status=0)

begin
    print @company_name
    select @test_companies_id from companydetails c where c.company_name = @company_name
    if @test_companies_id is not null

begin
    print 'match found'
    end
    else
    begin
    insert into companydetails ( company_name, business_type,hardware, op_system, network, pcs, terminals)
    values (@company_name, @business_type,@hardware, @operating_system, @networks, @pcs, @terminals)
    end

fetch next from s_completelist_cur into @company_name, @business_type, @hardware, @operating_system, @networks,@pcs, @terminals
    end
    close s_completelist_cur
    deallocate s_completelist_cur
    end

Chris Guest

Data Modification (reply)

Instead of using a cursor, here is a much more simplistic way to accomplish the task you have described.

INSERT INTO CompanyDetails (company_name, business_type, hardware, op_system, network, pcs, terminals)
    SELECT DISTINCT
    CASE
    WHEN [Company Name] LIKE ('%Ltd&#39
    THEN [Company Name]
    WHEN [Company Name] LIKE ('%Limited&#39
    THEN SUBSTRING([Company Name], 1, CHARINDEX(' Limited', [Company Name]))+'Ltd'
    END 'Company Name'
    [Business Type],
    [Hardware],
    [Operating System],
    [Networks],
    [PCS],
    [Terminals]
    FROM s_CompleteList
    WHERE [Company Name] NOT IN (SELECT DISTINCT Company_Name FROM CompanyDetails)
    ORDER BY 'Company Name'

NOTE: The following script doesn't update any names in the CompanyDetails Table from the Limited to Ltd. You could use the following script to update all the 'Limited' Companies in your Company Details Table:

UPDATE Company_Details
    SET Company_Name = SUBSTRING([Company_Name], 1, CHARINDEX(' Limited', [Company_Name]))+'Ltd'
    WHERE Company_Name LIKE ('%Limited&#39

I hope this helps...

------------
    Sonia at 9/6/00 12:03:07 PM

I am trying to migrate a system across and need some help tidying data and merging info.
    Firstly if I have some companies with the suffix 'Limited' and some with 'Ltd' ie BBC Ltd and BBC Limited. How do I change all these to read the company name and then Ltd??
    Secondly I am pulling info from a table which has company name duplicates into a table that also may have company details relating to that company name. I wish to add the details if the company name doesn't exist in the table and also only input the once from the source table. I am using cursors for this. My scripts see below is adding every record. Any ideas why??

AS
    declare
    @id varchar(50),
    @hardware varchar(50),
    @networks varchar(50),
    @pcs varchar(50),
    @terminals varchar(50),
    begin
    declare s_completelist_cur cursor for select [company name],[business type],[hardware],[operating system],[networks],
    open s_completelist_cur

while (@@fetch_status=0)

begin
    print @company_name
    select @test_companies_id from companydetails c where c.company_name = @company_name

begin
    print 'match found'
    end
    else
    begin
    insert into companydetails ( company_name, business_type,hardware, op_system, network, pcs, terminals)
    values (@company_name, @business_type,@hardware, @operating_system, @networks, @pcs, @terminals)
    end

end
    close s_completelist_cur
    end

Sonia Guest

Thanks Chris,
    The clean up using the substring for the limited value worked. The script to input data also worked but with a couple of problems. Beacause there may be diff values in busines_type etc I have duplicate entries of the company_name when I only want one. Is there a way of merging the business_data values??

Sonia

------------
    Chris at 9/6/00 5:46:00 PM

Instead of using a cursor, here is a much more simplistic way to accomplish the task you have described.

INSERT INTO CompanyDetails (company_name, business_type, hardware, op_system, network, pcs, terminals)
    SELECT DISTINCT
    CASE
    THEN [Company Name]
    END 'Company Name'
    [Business Type],
    [Hardware],
    [Operating System],
    [Networks],
    [PCS],
    [Terminals]
    FROM s_CompleteList
    ORDER BY 'Company Name'

NOTE: The following script doesn't update any names in the CompanyDetails Table from the Limited to Ltd. You could use the following script to update all the 'Limited' Companies in your Company Details Table:

UPDATE Company_Details
    SET Company_Name = SUBSTRING([Company_Name], 1, CHARINDEX(' Limited', [Company_Name]))+'Ltd'

I hope this helps...

------------

AS
    declare
    @id varchar(50),
    @hardware varchar(50),
    @networks varchar(50),
    @pcs varchar(50),
    @terminals varchar(50),
    begin
    open s_completelist_cur

while (@@fetch_status=0)

begin
    print @company_name

begin
    print 'match found'
    end
    else
    begin
    end

end
    close s_completelist_cur
    end

Chris Guest

Try removing the distinct and allowing the subquery to adhere to the only 1 instance rule for the name:

SELECT
    CASE
    THEN [Company Name]
    END 'Company Name'
    [Business Type],
    [Hardware],
    [Operating System],
    [Networks],
    [PCS],
    [Terminals]
    FROM s_CompleteList
    WHERE [Company Name] NOT IN
    (SELECT DISTINCT Company_Name FROM CompanyDetails)
    ORDER BY 'Company Name'

------------
    Sonia at 9/7/00 8:35:43 AM

Thanks Chris,
    The clean up using the substring for the limited value worked. The script to input data also worked but with a couple of problems. Beacause there may be diff values in busines_type etc I have duplicate entries of the company_name when I only want one. Is there a way of merging the business_data values??

Sonia

------------

SELECT DISTINCT
    CASE
    THEN [Company Name]
    END 'Company Name'
    [Business Type],
    [Hardware],
    [Operating System],
    [Networks],
    [PCS],
    [Terminals]
    FROM s_CompleteList
    ORDER BY 'Company Name'

UPDATE Company_Details

I hope this helps...

------------

AS
    declare
    @id varchar(50),
    @hardware varchar(50),
    @networks varchar(50),
    @pcs varchar(50),
    @terminals varchar(50),
    begin
    open s_completelist_cur

while (@@fetch_status=0)

begin
    print @company_name

begin
    print 'match found'
    end
    else
    begin
    end

end
    close s_completelist_cur
    end

vj reddy Guest

hi
    declare one string and then use replace command(replace(@string,''%limited',&# 39;%ltd&#39
    then update. then execute the table. it will replace from limited to ltd at a time.
    if u want i'll send the sql statements reg this.
    ok bye
    reddy

------------

SELECT DISTINCT
    CASE
    THEN [Company Name]
    END 'Company Name'
    [Business Type],
    [Hardware],
    [Operating System],
    [Networks],
    [PCS],
    [Terminals]
    FROM s_CompleteList
    ORDER BY 'Company Name'

UPDATE Company_Details

I hope this helps...

------------

AS
    declare
    @id varchar(50),
    @hardware varchar(50),
    @networks varchar(50),
    @pcs varchar(50),
    @terminals varchar(50),
    begin
    open s_completelist_cur

while (@@fetch_status=0)

begin
    print @company_name

begin
    print 'match found'
    end
    else
    begin
    end

end
    close s_completelist_cur
    end