Thread: Recommended max size of 6.5 DB

Kurt Symanzik Guest

Recommended max size of 6.5 DB

I have a 6.5 database running on NT 4.0 that is approximately 43GB in used space. I am making a case to management for some sort of upgrade to the whole system.

What sizes of 6.5 databases would anyone consider more "risky"? Is 43GB large for 6.5 (my thought is that it is)?

Thanks,

Kurt Symanzik
    Handleman Company

Ray Miao Guest

Recommended max size of 6.5 DB (reply)

Max db size for sql6.5 is 1tb.

------------
    Kurt Symanzik at 5/31/2002 10:41:28 AM

I have a 6.5 database running on NT 4.0 that is approximately 43GB in used space. I am making a case to management for some sort of upgrade to the whole system.

What sizes of 6.5 databases would anyone consider more "risky"? Is 43GB large for 6.5 (my thought is that it is)?

Thanks,

Kurt Symanzik
    Handleman Company

rogerjh Guest

Recommended max size of 6.5 DB (reply)

From a maintenance perspective (i.e. backup/restore, dbcc's, reindexing), 43 GB is exceptionally large. I know, for example, that backups take considerably longer in 6.5 than 7.0; this of course includes restores (twice as long as the backup). This reason alone is enough to make the switch.

------------
    Ray Miao at 5/31/2002 1:43:13 PM

Max db size for sql6.5 is 1tb.

------------
    Kurt Symanzik at 5/31/2002 10:41:28 AM

Thanks,

Kurt Symanzik
    Handleman Company