Hi all-

Currently, I am supporting a legacy that is giving me a headache. I manage an intranet web server (IIS), which hosts various business tools that end users rely on throughout the day. They are written in ASP and have system DSN's to MSAccess databases.

This is fine and well for some of the processes like a company phone list, where the Access database isn't too large. But, some of these processes are mission critical and heavily used, and the databases for these tools have grown to 45MB, 120MB, and even 250MB.... All in MSAccess. I often have to do various fixes on these databases, and have to continually field complaints of slow performance.

I have been trying to push for all new applications to use our SQL 7.0 server, but have been getting resistance from the ASP developers to do this. I also would like to import all of the Access databases into SQL, which I think would improve performance and data integrity. However, I don't have the background with SQL vs. Access to make an argument for this to happen.

Can anyone provide me with ideas, information, or reading that compares MS Access to MS SQL? I'd like to pitch to management that the SQL server would provide a better solution, and of course, will need piles of data to back up my claim.