Thread: MS Access 97 - table record numbering

Bruce Wexler Guest

MS Access 97 - table record numbering

Hello,

I have a table with survey questions that are numbered consecutively, 1 - 50. Is there a way to have the records retain their order after deleting a record, say if I delete record #25, I would still have 49 consecutive records and there would be no gap between #24 and #26.

Thanks,
    Bruce Wexler
    Programmer/Analyst

Paul Guest

MS Access 97 - table record numbering (reply)

This is not directly possible in Access97. However, you could move the data to a new table (temporary one). remove the autonumber from the original table and then put it back in and move the data back into the table.

Bit long winded but no easy way in Access97 i'm afraid.

------------
    Bruce Wexler at 6/6/01 6:40:03 PM

Hello,

I have a table with survey questions that are numbered consecutively, 1 - 50. Is there a way to have the records retain their order after deleting a record, say if I delete record #25, I would still have 49 consecutive records and there would be no gap between #24 and #26.

Thanks,
    Bruce Wexler
    Programmer/Analyst

Richard Hadfield Guest

MS Access 97 - table record numbering (reply)

I presume you are using the autonumber datatype for this? If so you would need to move out the records from 26 onwards compact the database (resets the count to the last record in the table) and then append the records you took out back into the table excluding the old autonumber as they will be regenerated on insert, very long winded but only way I can think of...

------------
    Bruce Wexler at 6/6/01 6:40:03 PM

Hello,

Thanks,
    Bruce Wexler
    Programmer/Analyst