Thread: Access and SQL Server

Panchobrad Guest

Access and SQL Server

Wen linking an Access 97 table to a table on my SQL Server it pulls the data down but I am unable to Edit or update the recordset. Is this a security issue or am I doing something wrong?

Kelsey Guest

Access and SQL Server (reply)

When you link the tables ensure that there is a primary key on them otherwise there is no way SQL will let you audit them. If they are actually views, you will have to manually link them and define the primary key. Views do not preserve the primary key of the table it is based on.

Or it may be that in your update statement you need the word Distinct to update the one side of the many relationship. Example Update DistinctRow tblUpdate Set Name = Me;

Or the query is actually not updatable based on the join and you'll have to find a different way to identify and update the records. I run into this quite a bit and usually end up using temp tables.

Hope this helps.
    Kelsey

------------
    Panchobrad at 8/8/01 11:12:28 AM

Wen linking an Access 97 table to a table on my SQL Server it pulls the data down but I am unable to Edit or update the recordset. Is this a security issue or am I doing something wrong?