Thread: can I mix regular datatype and unicode datatype in one database?

Grace Guest

can I mix regular datatype and unicode datatype in one database?

Hi,thank you for your help.

I'm in the process of designing an OLTP database in SQL Server 2000. Because of our globalized business, we must use unicode(nvarchar, nchar) in our database. But for some columns I'm sure they are absolutely fine if I use 'varchar' to define it, for example, there is a table contains protocol information, all the protocol are recorded as 'TCP/IP','SMTP'... so using 'varchar' datatype is fine for this table.

But I'm wondering whether it will cause any problem if part of tables or columns are defined in nvarchar and nchar, while another part of the database defined in varchar or char. Will this cause more work when I maintain my database?

Thanks again for your help.

Paul Guest

can I mix regular datatype and unicode datatype in one database? (reply)

absolutely no problem at all........go for it

------------
    Grace at 6/21/01 9:41:06 PM

Hi,thank you for your help.

I'm in the process of designing an OLTP database in SQL Server 2000. Because of our globalized business, we must use unicode(nvarchar, nchar) in our database. But for some columns I'm sure they are absolutely fine if I use 'varchar' to define it, for example, there is a table contains protocol information, all the protocol are recorded as 'TCP/IP','SMTP'... so using 'varchar' datatype is fine for this table.

But I'm wondering whether it will cause any problem if part of tables or columns are defined in nvarchar and nchar, while another part of the database defined in varchar or char. Will this cause more work when I maintain my database?

Thanks again for your help.