Thread: Can I use Access 97 as an ASP Database

MARTIN Guest

Can I use Access 97 as an ASP Database

I'm looking to design a web site with an online database, and i've heard that access will not be able to handle multiple users accessing the same datatables at the same time. If this is true what should I use, Coldfusion, Sql etc

I appreciate any help you could give.

Regards

Martin.....

Barry Guest

Can I use Access 97 as an ASP Database (reply)

Martin

If you are using the database for simply retrieving information, then Access is more than capable of handling the same database at the same time.

More than one person writing information at the same time is a bit more of a problem, if not properly handled can result in a corrupted db. But I've used an Access db for a backend message board and have not had any problems at all.

If you have a large number of people adding and deleting records from the database, then SQL server is probably preferable to Access.

------------
    MARTIN at 5/29/99 11:32:03 AM

I'm looking to design a web site with an online database, and i've heard that access will not be able to handle multiple users accessing the same datatables at the same time. If this is true what should I use, Coldfusion, Sql etc

Regards

Martin.....

pat Guest

Can I use Access 97 as an ASP Database (reply)

You can use access. We used access before upgrading to sql server. We were serving over 200,000 pageviews per day and each one hit the database. Most of what you need to think about is whether most database access is read mode. if updates are to occur, are they going to happen to the same table row by multiple users?

------------
    MARTIN at 5/29/99 11:32:03 AM

Regards

Martin.....