Thread: Moving SQL from C: to D:

Tim Guest

Moving SQL from C: to D:

I have inherited an SQL server that is running out of disk space. SQL 2000 was installed on a regretfully small C: partition, and I need to move as much as I can to the D: partition. I really don't want to uninstall and start over, and I am hoping there is a whitepaper or something that I can use to accomplish the same thing.

Any help is appreciated!

Sundar Guest

Moving SQL from C: to D: (reply)

Tim,

This may sound a bit silly but why not just move your databases out to the D drive? Or are you actually looking to reclaim every last byte of space occupied by the SQL server program files?

------------
    Tim at 5/29/2002 6:22:23 PM

I have inherited an SQL server that is running out of disk space. SQL 2000 was installed on a regretfully small C: partition, and I need to move as much as I can to the D: partition. I really don't want to uninstall and start over, and I am hoping there is a whitepaper or something that I can use to accomplish the same thing.

Any help is appreciated!

Hugh Guest

Moving SQL from C: to D: (reply)

Here's a decent tip list for performance - my suggestion is pretty simple - place your database and admin on D: & logs on C:
    http://www.sql-server-performance.com/fixing_bottlenecks.asp

------------
    Tim at 5/29/2002 6:22:23 PM

Any help is appreciated!