Thread: MSDB - Tasks Fail Constantly - Please HELP!

rob Guest

MSDB - Tasks Fail Constantly - Please HELP!

Hello:

In my production environment, ALL OF THE SUDDEN, my backups via EM schedule tasks, fail, yet when i examine the error, it says that the DUMP/LOAD was successful. I receive the following error:
    'Could not insert a backup or restore history/detail record in msdb.dbo.sysbackuphistory or sysrestore history. This may indicate a problem with the msdb.. . . . . .
    I expanded the MSDB database, and ran sp_purgehistory (no params) and it still FAILS. Is this related to the log? Please HELP asap. Thank you in advance.

rob Guest

MSDB - Tasks Fail Constantly - Please HELP! (reply)

ok, I will answer my own question. After some further research, I saw that there was a violation of a pkey in the sysbackuphistory table when trying to insert a record. This showed when i ran the task manually (not scheduled). Based on that I ran a DBCC CHECKIDENT on sysbackuphistory, and this fixed the problem (Darn, now i can't recover the space that i expanded the MSDB on)
    I hope this helps other people out there!

------------
    rob at 6/21/00 9:24:53 AM

Hello:

In my production environment, ALL OF THE SUDDEN, my backups via EM schedule tasks, fail, yet when i examine the error, it says that the DUMP/LOAD was successful. I receive the following error:
    'Could not insert a backup or restore history/detail record in msdb.dbo.sysbackuphistory or sysrestore history. This may indicate a problem with the msdb.. . . . . .
    I expanded the MSDB database, and ran sp_purgehistory (no params) and it still FAILS. Is this related to the log? Please HELP asap. Thank you in advance.

rob Guest

MSDB - Tasks Fail Constantly - Please HELP! (reply)

ok, I will answer my own question. After some further research, I saw that there was a violation of a pkey in the sysbackuphistory table when trying to insert a record. This showed when i ran the task manually (not scheduled). Based on that I ran a DBCC CHECKIDENT on sysbackuphistory, and this fixed the problem (Darn, now i can't recover the space that i expanded the MSDB on)
    I hope this helps other people out there!

------------
    rob at 6/21/00 9:24:53 AM

Hello: