Hello Gurus!

Can someone tell me how to get in contact with the author of the “Using DTS to Detect and Process a File” article? I need his/her help, or could be someone else that understands this process in depth. I am going to implement/try that process because the project I’m having right now is more the same.

Here is the link for the DTS article I’m talking about.
http://www.swynk.com/friends/szabo/DTSFileArrival.asp

I understand the Main idea of what this process does, but I would need help rewriting/or creating a DTS to create a table base on the imported text file. I also want to know if it possible to rewrite the some of the steps for example in my case I would need just to a specified directory for the arrival of a new file and copy or import it into the SQL Server.

Here is what I need to automate reading log files in an ftp server folder, this log files are called CDR (Call Detail Record) and named as follow cdr.txt.20020221010000 meaning that this log file was created on 2002/02/21 at 01:00:00, So for the process of unzipping would apply in my case.

This CDR log files are generated every hour by a Lucent telephone switch using a software/program called EXS ExchangePlus in ASCII format (fixed length delaminated, Char data type). EXS ExchangePlus writes a record in this CDR/log files after the call is completed, i.e. Calling_Number, Called_Number, Date_connect (yyyymmdd), Time_connect (hhmmss), Charged_time (hhmmss, duration of the call), and so on.

The manual process I am using now is:

1. Log in the ftp server into the folder where the CDRs log files are, located the latest generated CDRs log files and downloaded them into a local folder/directory. Normally I download the CDR for full day or 24 CDRs log files.

1a. Optionally sometimes I used a program called VEdit compiled/gather all 24 CDRs into a single file.

2. Once I have downloaded the CDRs I want to process (normally I process a full day 24 CDRs) I imported then into a Data Base temp table, where then I do the conversion of data types (i.e. Dates and times fields from char type -> to ->Date type) and calculations for billing purposes.

So if somebody can help with this, I would really appreciate ideas or any kind of information on how to automated this process.

Thanks Gurus, and I look forward to hearing from you soon!

Alf Baez!