Thread: Link SQL 2000 to AS400

Link SQL 2000 to AS400

Hello

I am trying to link SQL2000 to AS400. I have created the link and can access the data on the Server, but when I try to access from a client I get the following error:

Error 7399: OLE DB Provider 'MSDASQL' Reported an error. Data Source Name not found and no default driver specified.

Has anyone run into this and if so does anyone have a solution to this problem?

Any help would be greatly appreceiated.

Thanks
    Phil

Did you connect to sql2k server from the client? What's the query did you use?

If I go to the server, I can connect to the AS400 and submit queries. If I go to a client running SQL 2000, I get the error.

The SQL statement that I try through the client is:

SELECT * FROM AS400_NEW.AS400.GENPRDDTA.F0006

Is there anything else that I should be doing?

Thanks for your help
    Phil

What do you mean 'client running SQL 2000'? Did you try connect to sql server from client with query analyzer and run the query? Did you try openquery instead?

Do you have the Client Access DSN installed on the client? It seems to be a DSN/driver matter.

Linked servers use the DSN on the server side as far as I know. I know that DTS can use the client side or the server side DSN's but linked server is strictly server side.