Thread: remove chars

thanh nguyen Guest

remove chars

I have a field name call firstname and other field middleinit, now the table contains data. and i want to extract data, the firstname field sometimes contains the middle initial, for for example JOHH D.
    now I would like to set the firstname field with JOHN only and and set the middleinit field like D only
    thanks

remove chars (reply)

u can use charindex function to find out if there is any space exist in the value .

for example

select charindex(' ','JOHN D&#39 if it returns a value greter than 0 then
    u can seperate the feilds using substring function

ex

select substring('JOHN D',1,charindex(' ','JOHN D&#39-1)

------------
    thanh nguyen at 3/13/01 12:18:16 PM

I have a field name call firstname and other field middleinit, now the table contains data. and i want to extract data, the firstname field sometimes contains the middle initial, for for example JOHH D.
    now I would like to set the firstname field with JOHN only and and set the middleinit field like D only
    thanks

Cal Guest

remove chars (reply)

Thanh,

The following script will give you any variable after the firstname (FYI)

SELECT substring(firstname ,(CHARINDEX (' ',firstname ) +1), len(firstname ))
    FROM TABLE1

The following script will remove the middle initial from firstname column
    UPDATE TABLE1
    Set firstname = (substring(firstname ,1, (CHARINDEX (' ',firstname ) +1)))

------------
    thanh nguyen at 3/13/01 12:18:16 PM

thanks