Thread: Datapumptask or DataQueryDrivenTask?

mike Franklin Guest

Datapumptask or DataQueryDrivenTask?

I am new to creating DTS packages, and I have a question.

I have been using a DataPumpTask to perform a data transformation from SQL to Access. My sourceSQLstatement comes from a pretty complex view. The view creates temporary columns in its result. It is not a stored procedure. Does that matter? If it does, should I use a DataDriven QueryTask instead?

Also, do I have to define the columns? I have used DAO to create the columns and datatypes in Access already. If I do, do you have a little example of how to define the columns?

Your help would be very much appreciated. I have been pulling my hair out on this for about two weeks.

Jun Guest

Datapumptask or DataQueryDrivenTask? (reply)

First of all, you can use your VIEW as data source no matter how complex your VIEW is. You can create your Access table in advance in your Access database (preferred)or when you design your DTS package. The only thing you need to be careful is the data type conversion. Make sure the data you transfer are data-type convertable.

Jun
    ------------
    mike Franklin at 3/13/01 11:52:53 AM

I have been using a DataPumpTask to perform a data transformation from SQL to Access. My sourceSQLstatement comes from a pretty complex view. The view creates temporary columns in its result. It is not a stored procedure. Does that matter? If it does, should I use a DataDriven QueryTask instead?

Also, do I have to define the columns? I have used DAO to create the columns and datatypes in Access already. If I do, do you have a little example of how to define the columns?

Your help would be very much appreciated. I have been pulling my hair out on this for about two weeks.

Datapumptask or DataQueryDrivenTask? (reply)

Thanks. The SQL datatypes that I am using are short, VarChar and Single in SQL. Would you happen to know the equivalent data types in MSAccess 97?

------------
    Jun at 3/13/01 2:29:20 PM

First of all, you can use your VIEW as data source no matter how complex your VIEW is. You can create your Access table in advance in your Access database (preferred)or when you design your DTS package. The only thing you need to be careful is the data type conversion. Make sure the data you transfer are data-type convertable.

Jun
    ------------
    mike Franklin at 3/13/01 11:52:53 AM