Thread: Access SQL Server from Netware

Kevin Napier Guest

Access SQL Server from Netware

As the result of a take-over, the company I work for is having to replace part of its IT infrastructure. One of the changes we are being asked to make is to replace our clients NT4 Workstation and TCP/IP setup with Lotus Notes and Novell Netware. The clients will still need to access one of our key applications which is backended by a large SQL Server 7.0 system. I have been asked if this change is likely to be a problem. I am not very familiar with Netware and have done some research and found numerous references telling me that it can be done but very little on actually how to do it. I am particularly concerned about the security aspect as we use NT Security and database roles to control access to the databases. How would this work if the clients are logging on to a Novell network rather than a Microsoft one?

Can somebody point me in the right direction please.

Ray Miao Guest

Access SQL Server from Netware (reply)

NetWare is server, and I assume you still use nt workstation on desktop without tcp/ip. SQL server supports ipx/spx, but not enable it by default. You should use server network utility to enable ipx/spx on sql server and use client network utility to set default netlib to ipx/spx.

------------
    Kevin Napier at 3/13/01 9:26:59 AM

As the result of a take-over, the company I work for is having to replace part of its IT infrastructure. One of the changes we are being asked to make is to replace our clients NT4 Workstation and TCP/IP setup with Lotus Notes and Novell Netware. The clients will still need to access one of our key applications which is backended by a large SQL Server 7.0 system. I have been asked if this change is likely to be a problem. I am not very familiar with Netware and have done some research and found numerous references telling me that it can be done but very little on actually how to do it. I am particularly concerned about the security aspect as we use NT Security and database roles to control access to the databases. How would this work if the clients are logging on to a Novell network rather than a Microsoft one?

Mauricio Ikegami Guest

And if your NT Domain is going to be replaced by NDS, you will need to change SQL Server to mixed security mode and create the accounts in SQL Server.

Mauricio
    ------------
    Ray Miao at 3/13/01 9:53:30 AM

NetWare is server, and I assume you still use nt workstation on desktop without tcp/ip. SQL server supports ipx/spx, but not enable it by default. You should use server network utility to enable ipx/spx on sql server and use client network utility to set default netlib to ipx/spx.

------------

Bill Wilson Guest

If you have both a Netware domain and a NT domain, you can set up a one way trust relation from your Netware domain to your NT domain. In the Netware domain build a group and have the Netware administrator add each users Netware ID to the group. Then add this group to the NT group that has the required permissions for SQL Server. This may require multiple groups in both domain to have multiple levels of access but does retain your NT security. These groups can be added to any role or group in the NT domain and then SQL Server roles.

------------
    Mauricio Ikegami at 3/13/01 1:21:59 PM

And if your NT Domain is going to be replaced by NDS, you will need to change SQL Server to mixed security mode and create the accounts in SQL Server.

Mauricio
    ------------
    Ray Miao at 3/13/01 9:53:30 AM

------------