Thread: sp_detach_db

Joe Fawcett Guest

sp_detach_db

I wanted to move a database from our test server to live. I ran the above sp and then copied the mdf and ldf files to the new server and ran sp_attach_db, <name>, <path1>, <path2>.
    The new database showed up in MMC after a refresh but the tables have been changed, the name is the same but the fields are named differently and of different types and a new table is showing unlike any from the original.
    Any help appreciated.

Paul Guest

sp_detach_db (reply)

is the new table dtproperties ? If so, don&#39;t worry about it.

don&#39;t worry about the ldf file as it&#39;ll create itself when you attach the mdf file.

Are they the same version of SQL Server ?

------------
    Joe Fawcett at 3/13/01 3:34:08 AM

I wanted to move a database from our test server to live. I ran the above sp and then copied the mdf and ldf files to the new server and ran sp_attach_db, <name>, <path1>, <path2>.
    The new database showed up in MMC after a refresh but the tables have been changed, the name is the same but the fields are named differently and of different types and a new table is showing unlike any from the original.
    Any help appreciated.

Joe Fawcett Guest

sp_detach_db (reply)

Yes, they&#39;re both the same. They are two new installs of SQL 7, I&#39;ll try again without the LDF.

------------
    Paul at 3/13/01 8:31:26 AM

is the new table dtproperties ? If so, don&#39;t worry about it.

don&#39;t worry about the ldf file as it&#39;ll create itself when you attach the mdf file.

Are they the same version of SQL Server ?

------------
    Joe Fawcett at 3/13/01 3:34:08 AM

Any help appreciated.

Dale Shaw Guest

sp_detach_db (reply)

Hi

I do this all the time ... taking backups from clients sites and connecting to my development and test systems.

I have never encountered an issue.

Try again ...

Dale Shaw

P.S. See www.sourcecode.co.nz/attachdb is this is a common task.