Thread: DBase IV linked server very slow

Andrea Nava Guest

DBase IV linked server very slow

I've connect some .DBF file to SQL server 7 with linked server option. My table have about 200.000 records. I've tried with ODBC and Jet 4.0 option (found in www.mssqlserver.com) but I've very slow response if I use a "where" in the select instance.
    In fact I've the response after 10 seconds and during this seconds the processor go to 100%.
    Does anyone found a most speed way to do this?

Thanks,
    Andrea

borg389 Guest

DBase IV linked server very slow (reply)

There may not be a good way to link a dbase file like that, with that many records. Can you do fast queries using dbase on that datafile? If not, that's the reason.

If the dbf file is static, you might consider copying the data wholesale into sql and building indexes on it. Then you wouldn't need the linked server, and it would go much faster.

------------
    Andrea Nava at 3/6/01 7:35:57 AM

I've connect some .DBF file to SQL server 7 with linked server option. My table have about 200.000 records. I've tried with ODBC and Jet 4.0 option (found in www.mssqlserver.com) but I've very slow response if I use a "where" in the select instance.
    In fact I've the response after 10 seconds and during this seconds the processor go to 100%.
    Does anyone found a most speed way to do this?

Thanks,
    Andrea