Thread: Cascade Updates and Deletes

Randy Guest

Cascade Updates and Deletes

It appears that SQL7 does not support options to set cascade updates and deletes in the Relations tab of the property sheet, but it is included in

Randy Guest

Cascade Updates and Deletes Continued

...but it is included in SQL2000. Since I am coming from an Access environment, what combination of things can I use to create a cascaded update or delete in relationships in SQL7? Thanks,
    Randy

------------
    Randy at 2/27/01 4:11:20 PM

It appears that SQL7 does not support options to set cascade updates and deletes in the Relations tab of the property sheet, but it is included in

Kelsey Guest

Cascade Updates and Deletes Continued (reply)

You will need to write triggers on the tables. Check BOL.

Kelsey

------------
    Randy at 2/27/01 4:14:21 PM

...but it is included in SQL2000. Since I am coming from an Access environment, what combination of things can I use to create a cascaded update or delete in relationships in SQL7? Thanks,
    Randy

------------

Dirk Guest

Randy,
    as an alternative to the standard primarykey-foreignkey scheme from SQL7, you can enforce the referential integrity completely
    by triggers. So you should have insert-triggers in the child-tables to ensure
    that their foreign keys exist as primary keys (or whatever) in the parent-table.
    Then, you can add a delete trigger in the Parent-table that performs the cascading delete effect you wanted. It's a bit more work but it gets the job done.
    Just a small not on the side: if you intend to use this database in a merge-replication, be sure to include the "Not For Replication" clause in your triggers.

Dirk

------------

Randy

------------

Marc Scheuner Guest

Implementing referential integrity by using triggers is a kludge and should not be considered a good practice!

Coming from Oracle, I was stumped to see that MS SQL Server 7 didn't support such basics as full declarative referential integrity
    (with cascading deletes and updates), and also lags behind Oracle in things like "BEFORE" and "AFTER" triggers - if SQL 7 at
    least would have "BEFORE DELETE" triggers, then yes, you could use triggers to implement cascading deletes.

RIght now, your only real options are to either write a stored proc that will delete your child records before it deletes the
    parent record, or then go to SQL Server 2000 right away.

Marc

------------
    Dirk at 3/2/01 3:38:50 AM

Randy,
    as an alternative to the standard primarykey-foreignkey scheme from SQL7, you can enforce the referential integrity completely
    by triggers. So you should have insert-triggers in the child-tables to ensure
    that their foreign keys exist as primary keys (or whatever) in the parent-table.
    Then, you can add a delete trigger in the Parent-table that performs the cascading delete effect you wanted. It's a bit more work but it gets the job done.
    Just a small not on the side: if you intend to use this database in a merge-replication, be sure to include the "Not For Replication" clause in your triggers.

Dirk

------------

Randy

------------