Thread: Transaction Log Backup

Menon Guest

Transaction Log Backup

I am using ArcserveIT 2000 SQL Agent to backup my SQL Server 7.0 db. I perform a full backup (with archive on) every day. ArcserveIT backsup both database and transaction log files. 'Truncate log on chkpt' is set to False in the databases. If I don't use SQL server's backup command with trunc. log on chkpt to true, will the transaction log file ever get trimmed? Does a third party backup utility like ArcserveIT will do something similar to 'backup command' in SQL server 7.
    Anyone using ArcserveIT SQL Server 7.0 Agent, please comment.
    Thanks

Jim W Guest

Transaction Log Backup (reply)

I'm not familiar with that particular backup software, but it's my understanding that backup software like that generally uses the backup drivers in sqlserver. If the backup is doing a full backup, the trans log probably -is- getting handled without backing it up separately.

So if you are doing a full backup, you can probably turn off the trans log backup.

------------
    Menon at 2/21/01 9:42:41 AM

I am using ArcserveIT 2000 SQL Agent to backup my SQL Server 7.0 db. I perform a full backup (with archive on) every day. ArcserveIT backsup both database and transaction log files. 'Truncate log on chkpt' is set to False in the databases. If I don't use SQL server's backup command with trunc. log on chkpt to true, will the transaction log file ever get trimmed? Does a third party backup utility like ArcserveIT will do something similar to 'backup command' in SQL server 7.
    Thanks

MAK Guest

Transaction Log Backup (reply)

we usually schedule SQL jobs to take db backups and tranlog backups.

Thru arcnet we backup the entire backup folder of data and backup folder of tranlog from two different drives.

-MAK

------------
    Menon at 2/21/01 9:42:41 AM

Thanks