I support an application for a customer :

That is the history :

1) Application ACCESS 2 & SQL SERVER 6.5 SP5
    We have bad performance
    2) Migration ODBC 16 to ODBC 32
    Good performance
    3) Migration ACCESS 2 to ACCESS 2000
    ===============================================
    The size of mdb's file move 33 Mo to 90 Mo !!!!!
    They change the driver's ODBC to Named Pipe ( before TCP/IP ), why i don't know
    Now, the application is launched in 5 minutes !!!!!!!!

Have you any ideas for correct this problem

Regards,
    alain

David Pierri Guest

ACCESS and SQL SERVER 6.5 (reply)

Your ODBC library works dependandt on the type of network your client is using. By default, Windows selects NamePipes as its connection of choice. If you are running windowsNetworks that is the library to use. If you also are running on TCP/IP protocol, use dbmssocn. Try to enable multiprotocol on ODBC to make the application choose the best connection.

When moving access databases from previous versions to a new version, you must repair and/or rebuild the database so that unneeded transactions and temporary crap that Access leaves behind can get cleaned up. Besides, moving an Access 2 database right into Access2K, although beneficial, you may end up with many problems that are inherited from Access 2. Best thing to do would be to rebuild the app from scratch, or transfer data one table at a time.

What I can tell from your story, it seems to me that the application was written in Access and it is accessing its data from a SQL server. Very possible that the application was originally written to use Access tables and not SQL. You need to see if it would be better for your client to either get an upgraded version if it is a commercial app, or have a consultant re-write the existing one in either VB6 for SQL 7.

I hope I was able to shed some light on your problem. Any additional comments from other Admins are welcome. Just in case some day I run into a problem like this.

Good luck
    David.

------------
    Alain at 1/12/00 3:11:04 AM

I support an application for a customer :

That is the history :

1) Application ACCESS 2 & SQL SERVER 6.5 SP5
    We have bad performance
    2) Migration ODBC 16 to ODBC 32
    Good performance
    3) Migration ACCESS 2 to ACCESS 2000
    ===============================================
    The size of mdb's file move 33 Mo to 90 Mo !!!!!
    They change the driver's ODBC to Named Pipe ( before TCP/IP ), why i don't know
    Now, the application is launched in 5 minutes !!!!!!!!

Have you any ideas for correct this problem

Regards,
    alain