Thread: Attached db successful in QA but not showing in EM

ChrisE Guest

Attached db successful in QA but not showing in EM

I used Query Analyser to De-tach a SQL 7 database and that worked fine. The database became 'invisible' in Enterprise Manager and the entry was removed from the sysdatabases in Master. The mdf and ldf file remain in the file system. However, when I ran the sp to Attach the database QA said successful but it does not show in Enterprise Manager or in sysdatabases in Master. I'm going to run through the procedure again and if problems I'll check the logs but has anyone else had difficulty with this. Also with attaching the db to a SQL2000 install I believe the logins on the SQL7 install are not brought over. In my case, the client is using trusted logins with their database application so their is probably not a lot to manually recreate on the SQL 2000 install but doees anyone have nay sample code/script that can give me an idea of what is required in the area of getting logins out of the Master of SQL7 and into SQL2000.

Great forum...

Have a great day,

ChrisE

JeffP Guest

Attached db successful in QA but not showing in EM (reply)

Never had the missing db in EM. You may wish to try to test the attach in another MSSQL server to try to determine if it is a problem with EM, which I've had and a reinstall is the solution, or with the db.

I have had the problem with logins...

There are a few posts in this NG for logins, use the search feature.

One aspect of logins that has been a repeated topic here is that a login my not have the same underlying ID.

Say sa is 01
    userX is 02
    userY is 03....etc

On another server
    sa is 01
    userB is 02
    userX is 03
    userY is 04....etc

There is an sp that puts the best sounding login with the approprite ID. It is not a 100%, but I've had good luck.

You should search this NG for topics about logins, as there are other issues that are addressed, that may prove useful.

HTH

JeffP...

------------
    ChrisE at 11/13/01 10:52:13 PM

I used Query Analyser to De-tach a SQL 7 database and that worked fine. The database became 'invisible' in Enterprise Manager and the entry was removed from the sysdatabases in Master. The mdf and ldf file remain in the file system. However, when I ran the sp to Attach the database QA said successful but it does not show in Enterprise Manager or in sysdatabases in Master. I'm going to run through the procedure again and if problems I'll check the logs but has anyone else had difficulty with this. Also with attaching the db to a SQL2000 install I believe the logins on the SQL7 install are not brought over. In my case, the client is using trusted logins with their database application so their is probably not a lot to manually recreate on the SQL 2000 install but doees anyone have nay sample code/script that can give me an idea of what is required in the area of getting logins out of the Master of SQL7 and into SQL2000.

Great forum...

Have a great day,

ChrisE

Jim Guest

Attached db successful in QA but not showing in EM (reply)

This may sound very obvious, but have you tried refreshing the EM. If that doesn't work, try closing EM and then re-opening it.

I believe I have hit this problem before and found that i need to refresh em before the database would appear.

just a thought,

jim

------------
    JeffP at 11/14/2001 1:47:05 AM

Never had the missing db in EM. You may wish to try to test the attach in another MSSQL server to try to determine if it is a problem with EM, which I've had and a reinstall is the solution, or with the db.

I have had the problem with logins...

There are a few posts in this NG for logins, use the search feature.

One aspect of logins that has been a repeated topic here is that a login my not have the same underlying ID.

Say sa is 01
    userX is 02
    userY is 03....etc

On another server
    sa is 01
    userB is 02
    userX is 03
    userY is 04....etc

There is an sp that puts the best sounding login with the approprite ID. It is not a 100%, but I've had good luck.

You should search this NG for topics about logins, as there are other issues that are addressed, that may prove useful.

HTH

JeffP...

------------
    ChrisE at 11/13/01 10:52:13 PM

Great forum...

Have a great day,

ChrisE

You may BCP OUT the content of syslogins(master db) from SQL 7.0 to a file and BCP IN the data to syslogins (master db)in SQL 2K.
    Hope it helps.