Thread: new SQL 7 user

Scott Johnson Guest

new SQL 7 user

Hello, my name is Scott Johnson and I'm a cold fusion developer and system administrator trying to convert some of my Access databases to SQL 7.
    I was wondering if any of you could recommend books about SQL 7 for me? I have a lot of experience with Access and am (IMHO) pretty swift when
    it comes to the SQL query language itself. However, SQL 7 is just different enough to provide lots of "gotchas", and I am having a hard time
    finding work-arounds.

For instance, Access handled cascading deletes easily and automatically. SQL simply enforces a constraint, preventing deletion. Many
    of my CF applications rely on this automatic behaivior. I realize that the key to making this work properly in SQL 7 is to create a trigger.
    However, none of the resources I have found (on line books, on line help, and a DB Administrator book) really give me clear instructions
    on how to make triggers work properly, or even how they work at all.

Again, I don't want to force folks to debug code or answer the same question for the zillionth time. So, any book
    recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

sfogli Guest

new SQL 7 user (reply)

Scott, there are a couple of books out there for 7.0. One that is good that recently came out is "Inside MS SQL Server 7.0(developers guide to architecture and implementation)" this book is by Soukup & Delaney. It's about $60 depending on where you get it. The other book I would suggest is a T-SQL book for 7.0. There are several out there but I haven't picked one up yet. It is good to have a reference around for SQL as things have changed in 7.0(would help with the trigger issue).

SF
    ------------
    Scott Johnson at 6/3/99 12:19:43 PM

Hello, my name is Scott Johnson and I'm a cold fusion developer and system administrator trying to convert some of my Access databases to SQL 7.
    I was wondering if any of you could recommend books about SQL 7 for me? I have a lot of experience with Access and am (IMHO) pretty swift when
    it comes to the SQL query language itself. However, SQL 7 is just different enough to provide lots of "gotchas", and I am having a hard time
    finding work-arounds.

For instance, Access handled cascading deletes easily and automatically. SQL simply enforces a constraint, preventing deletion. Many
    of my CF applications rely on this automatic behaivior. I realize that the key to making this work properly in SQL 7 is to create a trigger.
    However, none of the resources I have found (on line books, on line help, and a DB Administrator book) really give me clear instructions

Again, I don't want to force folks to debug code or answer the same question for the zillionth time. So, any book

Rich Belanger Guest

new SQL 7 user (reply)

Kalen Delaney's new book Inside SQL Server 7
    has specific examples of triggers for cascading
    updates and deletes. It is the #1 reference on the market
    today IMHO.

Rich Belanger
    MCSE, SQL Server MCT

------------
    Scott Johnson at 6/3/99 12:19:43 PM

finding work-arounds.

Bruce Loving Guest

new SQL 7 user (reply)

Hi Scott, I am pretty much in the same boat, just starting with SQL 7. I have found 1 good book:
    Access and SQL Server Developers Handbook. Sybex ISBN 0-7821-1804-6 $44.99 at Borders.
    Mostly about upsizing Access apps to SQL Server. Covers Triggers pretty well.

Regards, Bruce