Thread: How do I create a SQL Server Job to execute a .exe file?

Greg Sanders Guest

How do I create a SQL Server Job to execute a .exe file?

I am having trouble getting a job step to execute an executable file. One of the options for a job step is to enter an operating system command. I have tried entering the following operating system command to execute a file:

'start c:myfile.exe'

For some reason this doesn't work. How can I get SQL Server to execute an executable file?

Ray Miao Guest

How do I create a SQL Server Job to execute a .exe file? (reply)

Yes, you can do this. The type in step should be cmdexec.

------------
    Greg Sanders at 6/10/99 5:41:32 PM

I am having trouble getting a job step to execute an executable file. One of the options for a job step is to enter an operating system command. I have tried entering the following operating system command to execute a file:

For some reason this doesn't work. How can I get SQL Server to execute an executable file?

Greg Sanders Guest

I am setting the step type to cmdexec. I am able to run many different commands using the cmdexec type but when I enter the 'start' command to start an executable it does not work. I can check the history of the job after executing the command and it says that it was successful but the executable does not get launched.
    ------------
    Ray Miao at 6/11/99 7:09:50 AM

------------

SATYA Guest

REMOVE START

------------
    Greg Sanders at 6/11/99 8:42:26 AM

I am setting the step type to cmdexec. I am able to run many different commands using the cmdexec type but when I enter the 'start' command to start an executable it does not work. I can check the history of the job after executing the command and it says that it was successful but the executable does not get launched.
    ------------
    Ray Miao at 6/11/99 7:09:50 AM

------------