Thread: Roles

George Wilson Guest

Roles

I might be missing something. I have 'upsized' an Access database to SQL 7.0. I then created new users on the server. I then added them to the database and gave them the role db_datawriter. When they try to connect, they can't. When I look at the permissions tab for the tables, I see their ID's, but none of the boxes are marked. Did I forget to do something?

Ray Miao Guest

Roles (reply)

How do users connect to sql server? Use query analyzer or via odbc? Can they see sql server? Which netlib you use, named pipes or tcp/ip?

------------
    George Wilson at 6/10/99 7:23:19 AM

I might be missing something. I have 'upsized' an Access database to SQL 7.0. I then created new users on the server. I then added them to the database and gave them the role db_datawriter. When they try to connect, they can't. When I look at the permissions tab for the tables, I see their ID's, but none of the boxes are marked. Did I forget to do something?

George Wilson Guest

Roles (reply)

Right now they are connecting through access97 using odbc and using named pipes.

Additional Info: I have moved them to the db_owner role and they were able to select and view the data in the database. Why could they not select the data with the role db_datawriter?

Thanks

------------
    Ray Miao at 6/11/99 7:19:44 AM

How do users connect to sql server? Use query analyzer or via odbc? Can they see sql server? Which netlib you use, named pipes or tcp/ip?

------------

Gary Billins Guest

Roles (reply)

I am using the writer and reader roles successful.
    Please ensure that the users are granted database access . For example

USE DDDDDDD
    go
    EXEC sp_grantdbaccess [DOMAIN-Aexplorer]

will authorize account explorer to use the database DDDDDD

Good Luck.

------------
    George Wilson at 6/14/99 7:42:41 AM

Right now they are connecting through access97 using odbc and using named pipes.

Additional Info: I have moved them to the db_owner role and they were able to select and view the data in the database. Why could they not select the data with the role db_datawriter?

Thanks

------------
    Ray Miao at 6/11/99 7:19:44 AM

------------