Thread: SQL.LOG??? Where does it come from?

Darrin Wilkinson Guest

SQL.LOG??? Where does it come from?

I have 2 logical drives c: and d:. I have 2 files that are created on each drive. SQL.LOG created on c: and SQL.LOG created on d:. both of these files are constantly growing. I once had one of them over 1Gig in size!!!! Why are there two of these files being created and how can I control the properties of this file (size, location, etc..)?

Thanks in advance,
    Darrin

Ray Miao Guest

SQL.LOG??? Where does it come from? (reply)

Use sp_helpfile to find out those files belong to which database. Then change the db files with sp_detach_db & sp_attach_db, etc. See BOL for details.

------------
    Darrin Wilkinson at 6/9/99 10:25:41 AM

I have 2 logical drives c: and d:. I have 2 files that are created on each drive. SQL.LOG created on c: and SQL.LOG created on d:. both of these files are constantly growing. I once had one of them over 1Gig in size!!!! Why are there two of these files being created and how can I control the properties of this file (size, location, etc..)?

Thanks in advance,
    Darrin

Dean McCrae Guest

...or it could be that ODBC tracing is turned on and the name of the trace file is sql.log. I don't know how it would be on two different drives, unless the mappings have changed or the trace file locations have been modified.

Check the ODBC Data Sources Manager in Control Panel, in the Tracing tab and make sure the left button says Start Tracing Now, not Stop Tracing Now.

Dean.

aakash Guest

Check if you are using Disk Mirroring,stripping by parity of SQL Server this might cause writing to both disk ismultanously
    ------------
    Darrin Wilkinson at 6/9/99 10:25:41 AM

Thanks in advance,
    Darrin