Thread: 7.0 upgrade and Service Pack 5

Mike Guest

7.0 upgrade and Service Pack 5

I will be upgrading from 6.5 to 7.0. Do I need to have the latest service pack (would it be SP5?) on SQL Server? Also, the rumor's that SP5 is buggy? Is this true?

William Vierra Guest

7.0 upgrade and Service Pack 5 (reply)

To upgrade to SQL 7.0 you will need to be running SP 4 and IE 4.1. The installation has a prerequisites portion that you should run prior to the upgrade.

The upgrade to SP4 and SQL 7.0 works extremely well but do not forget to have a good backup and read the installation documentation.

SP 5 is not needed and I would wait another month before applying it. Thus far I have heard of no problems with it.

------------
    Mike at 5/25/99 3:33:17 PM

I will be upgrading from 6.5 to 7.0. Do I need to have the latest service pack (would it be SP5?) on SQL Server? Also, the rumor's that SP5 is buggy? Is this true?

Cindy Gross Guest

Make sure you use sp5a and not sp5! There is a backup related bug in sp5 (you can backup but in some cases you can't restore).

------------
    William Vierra at 5/27/99 11:31:43 AM

To upgrade to SQL 7.0 you will need to be running SP 4 and IE 4.1. The installation has a prerequisites portion that you should run prior to the upgrade.

The upgrade to SP4 and SQL 7.0 works extremely well but do not forget to have a good backup and read the installation documentation.

SP 5 is not needed and I would wait another month before applying it. Thus far I have heard of no problems with it.

------------

Diana Williams Guest

I upgraded from 6.5 SP4 and it worked like a charm. I never installed SP5 because of all the problems I heard people were having. However, since it's not a requirement, I wouldn't bother. It's not needed.

------------
    Cindy Gross at 5/28/99 10:55:45 AM

Make sure you use sp5a and not sp5! There is a backup related bug in sp5 (you can backup but in some cases you can't restore).

------------
    William Vierra at 5/27/99 11:31:43 AM

------------