Thread: Backup a single table

Hybrid View

Felix Contreras Guest

Backup a single table

I have a table with about 5000000 Ml records that I need to copy to other database. What will be the easy way to do it? Can I backup a single table?
    Any suggestions!

Steve Guest

Backup a single table (reply)

Felix,

The way I'd do it would be to BCP the table out to a file using Native datatypes, and reload it using the BULK INSERT operation. Using Native datatypes is substantially faster than using text format.

Steve.

------------
    Felix Contreras at 2/3/00 9:19:16 PM

I have a table with about 5000000 Ml records that I need to copy to other database. What will be the easy way to do it? Can I backup a single table?
    Any suggestions!

Felix Contreras Guest

Well the reason is because we are encounting data problems and they want to keep a snap shot of the data before they run the application and I just need to know the faster way to do this! because I created a packeg to transfer the data but it was running slow (I used this on 6.5 "mining the trasfer objects&#34.
    Steve, What you mean with Native datatypes?

------------
    Steve at 2/3/00 11:38:46 PM

Felix,

The way I'd do it would be to BCP the table out to a file using Native datatypes, and reload it using the BULK INSERT operation. Using Native datatypes is substantially faster than using text format.

Steve.

------------

Any suggestions!

Faisal Hussain Guest

I think steve mean's /N
    I think the following syntax will work if you type at command prompt.

bcp database name..table name out outfilename /n /S servername /U sa /P password >> log.out

I hope is will work ...

------------
    Felix Contreras at 2/4/00 11:30:12 AM

Well the reason is because we are encounting data problems and they want to keep a snap shot of the data before they run the application and I just need to know the faster way to do this! because I created a packeg to transfer the data but it was running slow (I used this on 6.5 "mining the trasfer objects&#34.
    Steve, What you mean with Native datatypes?

------------
    Steve at 2/3/00 11:38:46 PM

Felix,

Steve.

------------

Any suggestions!