Thread: Running SQL 6.5 and 7 on same machine?

Sheila Guest

Running SQL 6.5 and 7 on same machine?

I am migrating a web server which support two web sites ( with 2 IP addresses). Both the sites have a database associated with it. I am sure one of them is using SQL 7. Now I was told that the other is using SQL6.5. I know you can have both SQL6.5 and 7 on the same machine. But can you get them running at same time? Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Fred Guest

Running SQL 6.5 and 7 on same machine? (reply)

Hi Sheila,

I am sorry, but they cannot run at the same time.

Fred.

------------
    Sheila at 8/17/00 11:02:05 AM

I am migrating a web server which support two web sites ( with 2 IP addresses). Both the sites have a database associated with it. I am sure one of them is using SQL 7. Now I was told that the other is using SQL6.5. I know you can have both SQL6.5 and 7 on the same machine. But can you get them running at same time? Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Chris Guest

Once you set sp_dbcmptlevel, I haven't experienced any issues running SQL2000, SQL 7, and SQL 6.5 on the same machine, at the same time.

------------

Debra Aranmolate Guest

Are you allowed to run 6.5 and 7.0 at the same time? Are you running these on an NT machine? SQL Manager, According to Microsoft Technical Service and Documentation, is a service that can only run 6.5 or 7.0 concurrently.

------------
    Chris at 8/17/00 5:01:33 PM

Once you set sp_dbcmptlevel, I haven't experienced any issues running SQL2000, SQL 7, and SQL 6.5 on the same machine, at the same time.

------------

Chris Guest

Using the sp_dbcmptlevel stored procedure on a given database affects that database only. FULL 6.5 functionality is not there, however the majority is available on a DB set to 6.5 compatability. The only issue that I have with the 6.5 DB is that to use Enterprise Manager, I have to have both 7.0 and 6.5 Client tools installed in different directories. I have to use 6.5 EM to administer the 6.5 DB on the 7.0 Server via gui, but I can administer the DB via ISQL on the 7.0 Server.

------------
    Debra Aranmolate at 8/18/00 1:06:18 PM

Are you allowed to run 6.5 and 7.0 at the same time? Are you running these on an NT machine? SQL Manager, According to Microsoft Technical Service and Documentation, is a service that can only run 6.5 or 7.0 concurrently.

------------
    Chris at 8/17/00 5:01:33 PM

------------