Thread: SQL Server Network address question

Mark S. Guest

SQL Server Network address question

We have a SQL Server 7.0 SP1 NT 4 SP5 that has 40 or so clients connecting to it via a software package using NT Authentication. It was noticed that in Enterprise MGR, in Current activity panel under Network Address that all 40 or so clients do not show there individual MAC address, there are 3 different addresses, one does appear to be a client that is repeated for several other clients, one appears to be a network hub and the third one we have not determined what it is. These are all WIN 95 clients. When we use NT Workstation to connect to this SQL Server with Query Analyzer it does show the correct MAC address. Any ideas on what is wrong or where to start? Any help would be appreciated! Thanks

Colin Leversuch-Roberts Guest

SQL Server Network address question (reply)

NT Clients give the most info. You can program into the app to show appname etc. I suspect that most if not all users are logging in as one ID. I've seen a number of third party apps for SQL Server that do that ( usually as dbo )
    You should also see the sa, probe etc in SEM

------------
    Mark S. at 2/2/00 10:13:02 AM

We have a SQL Server 7.0 SP1 NT 4 SP5 that has 40 or so clients connecting to it via a software package using NT Authentication. It was noticed that in Enterprise MGR, in Current activity panel under Network Address that all 40 or so clients do not show there individual MAC address, there are 3 different addresses, one does appear to be a client that is repeated for several other clients, one appears to be a network hub and the third one we have not determined what it is. These are all WIN 95 clients. When we use NT Workstation to connect to this SQL Server with Query Analyzer it does show the correct MAC address. Any ideas on what is wrong or where to start? Any help would be appreciated! Thanks

Mark S Guest

SQL Server Network address question (reply)

Each client is using their NT own userid to enter into the system and I see that in EM. What is also strange is that I can use my PC (Win/95) and log into SQL Server via Query Analyzer and then use EM to see my connection and my MAC address is incorrect also.....

------------
    Colin Leversuch-Roberts at 2/4/00 8:00:04 AM

NT Clients give the most info. You can program into the app to show appname etc. I suspect that most if not all users are logging in as one ID. I've seen a number of third party apps for SQL Server that do that ( usually as dbo )
    You should also see the sa, probe etc in SEM

------------
    Mark S. at 2/2/00 10:13:02 AM