Thread: Eliminate Transaction Log

Rene Meneses Morales Guest

Eliminate Transaction Log

The Transaction Log which I'm working is so loaded. I trucated it, but isn't enough, is still so big.

What can i do for clean the log and have free space again?

tcronin Guest

Eliminate Transaction Log (reply)

Why not periodically dump the log during the day to a log backup device. Truncating might inhibit disaster recovery

------------
    Rene Meneses Morales at 4/22/99 10:26:23 AM

The Transaction Log which I'm working is so loaded. I trucated it, but isn't enough, is still so big.

zahid ali khan Guest

Hi Rene,
    Do the following to get rid of UR problem
    First increase the size of your Transaction Log till U R able to work.Then give the truncate Transaction Log.

If U R not working on Production Server than click "Truncate Log on Checkpoint" option of database properties.else UR not advised to clear UR Log.

thks
    zak

------------

Diana Williams Guest

If you're trying to shrink the transaction log, you can't. If you just want to empty it because it's filled up, use BACKUP LOG database_name WITH NO_LOG. You need to put a maximum growth size on your log to keep from growing more than a certain allowable amount and make sure that you either use Truncate Log On Checkpoint, or periodically do transaction log backups throughout the day (highly recommended).

------------