Thread: aliasing user to 'dbo' in SQL 7.0

Terry Tate Guest

aliasing user to 'dbo' in SQL 7.0

Hello Everyone,
    In 7.0, how do you alias users to 'dbo' in a database from enterprise manager. The only way that I have figured out how to do this is with the sp_addalias stored procedure. This was such a simple process in 6.5. Am I overlooking something in the 'Security' folder or the user or role list in the database.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in Advance,
    Terry

Ray Miao Guest

aliasing user to 'dbo' in SQL 7.0 (reply)

Give user db_owner role.

------------
    Terry Tate at 3/30/99 8:11:39 AM

Hello Everyone,
    In 7.0, how do you alias users to 'dbo' in a database from enterprise manager. The only way that I have figured out how to do this is with the sp_addalias stored procedure. This was such a simple process in 6.5. Am I overlooking something in the 'Security' folder or the user or role list in the database.

Thanks in Advance,
    Terry

paul martin Guest

The problem with the db_owner role is that objects created by a user are stilled owned by that user not 'dbo' which means that in a development environment you end up with ownership issues. If anyone knows how to allow multiple developers to log in using NY authentication and create objects as 'dbo' I would be grateful for details.

------------

Hello Everyone,

Thanks in Advance,
    Terry

John Pekarek Guest

The only way I've found to alias 'dbo' as the creator is by using the sp_addalias.
    DB_Owner does NOT give you 'DBO' alias, only Server level permission 'System
    Administrator' will do this by default.

If you are trying to set the 'dbo' alias for an NT Auth, just prefix the
    NT login name with the NT Domain name.

sp_addalias 'ntdomainuserid', 'dbo'

John Pekarek
    ------------
    paul martin at 4/9/99 5:48:26 AM

The problem with the db_owner role is that objects created by a user are stilled owned by that user not 'dbo' which means that in a development environment you end up with ownership issues. If anyone knows how to allow multiple developers to log in using NY authentication and create objects as 'dbo' I would be grateful for details.

------------

Hello Everyone,

Thanks in Advance,
    Terry