Thread: Upgrading from SQL Server 6.0

Kevin Napier Guest

Upgrading from SQL Server 6.0

All the documentation I have read talks about upgrading from SQL Server 6.x. I presume I can use the upgrade wizard to upgrade my 6.0 system directly to 7.0 without having to upgrade to 6.5 first.

Any thoughts, comments or help would be much appreciated.

Yes you can upgrade directly to SQL 2000 skipping 6.5 but that version is three versions back, consider SQL 2008 as 2010 is coming around the corner and it has allot more power and business Intelligence features not available in 2000 it may cost more but it is well worth it.

Larry Darrah
    MS Architect Evangelist
    Last edited by tattooedscorpdc; 04-09-2009 at 03:47 PM.

I agree, there is no point upgrading to 6.5 now, even SQL 7.0 is out of support.

I believe sql7 is good choice 11 years ago.

Hi.
    I recommend that you migrate throght scripts, I mean generate scripts of your database in version 6.0 and execute those scripts in SQL server 2005 or sql 2008.

And then check your sql code of sp's

This procedure is more slow than you use wizards to migrate, but you ensure that you migration works fine, and you can make this migration step by step, besides if you have any problem, you can detect an resolve this problem

Regards,

PD. Don't forget Reindex all database and update statistics once finish the migration.