Thread: Object_id Numbers on Same Server

Karen Suenram Guest

Object_id Numbers on Same Server

I restored a development database to a test database on the same server. I thought this would be a good
    thing to do because testers would have the same data as developers and the tables would be exactly alike.
    However, I noticed that the object_id is identical for the tables. For example, the Accounting Calendar in the development
    database and the Accounting Calendar in the test database have the same Object_id. Could anyone verify that
    this is or is not going to cause me trouble?

Chris Guest

Object_id Numbers on Same Server (reply)

Ideally, you would not like to have duplicate id's, however because you restored the DB, the DB information from the source database was used and registered in the system catalogs for the new database. This could very well cause you "GREAT PAIN". Even though they are in different databases and somewhat mutually exclusive, they are ultimately registered in the master DB, which is the root of all objects.

My suggestion is to Drop all the user tables and use DTS to create copy/create the new structure and pump the data over to the new database. This will register the new objects (ie. tables) with new id's.

------------
    Karen Suenram at 8/23/00 10:04:59 AM

I restored a development database to a test database on the same server. I thought this would be a good
    thing to do because testers would have the same data as developers and the tables would be exactly alike.
    However, I noticed that the object_id is identical for the tables. For example, the Accounting Calendar in the development
    database and the Accounting Calendar in the test database have the same Object_id. Could anyone verify that

Karen Suenram Guest

Thanks for the advice, we were starting to get a permissions denied for one user which I thought was unusual.
    This was the only thing I could think of that might be the problem. There are different authorizations for the 2 databases.

------------
    Chris at 8/23/00 11:25:59 AM

Ideally, you would not like to have duplicate id's, however because you restored the DB, the DB information from the source database was used and registered in the system catalogs for the new database. This could very well cause you "GREAT PAIN". Even though they are in different databases and somewhat mutually exclusive, they are ultimately registered in the master DB, which is the root of all objects.

My suggestion is to Drop all the user tables and use DTS to create copy/create the new structure and pump the data over to the new database. This will register the new objects (ie. tables) with new id's.

------------

Karen Suenram Guest

Thanks for the advice, we were starting to get a permissions denied for one user which I thought was unusual.
    This was the only thing I could think of that might be the problem. There are different authorizations for the 2 databases.

------------

------------

Karen Suenram Guest

Thanks. That is good news. The permission for the Test users is by group or role. The Role has all authority. For
    some reason one user is having trouble while other people in the Role are not. I will do more checking from the code
    standpoint.

------------
    Stephen Kennedy at 8/23/00 7:07:06 PM

Object ID's only need to be unique within a database. IT DOES NOT MATTER at all that the same ID(s) exists in another database. You are wasting your time with the re-creation of the tables.

The permissions problem is not related to this. You might want to check whether the user who is getting the permissions problem is actually setup correctly in the 'new' database.

Stephen

------------
    Karen Suenram at 8/23/00 12:56:23 PM

------------

------------