Thread: 6.5 replication problem

Jan Garver Guest

6.5 replication problem

One of the folks I work with has begun to have a problem with replication. The NT Sysadmin folks did an "autoload" on the production system, and since then the replication has not synched successfully.
    It runs nightly, but the next day he has to redo all the views and permissions, then it is ok.
    I have checked Microsofts web site, and some of the other public forums, but have not seen this problem.
    Do you know where we can begin to check? I'm not really familiar with replication, he's been working with it for about 3 weeks, so any assistance or direction is appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Jan
    Oh, he has tried so far to unsubscribe, he's even deleted the tables on the subscriber, but none of this has had any effect.

Jan Garver Guest

6.5 replication problem (reply)

Pete,
    Thanks for the reply! That is the direction we were headed, but we thought he might be able to just rebuild the database, rather than the whole machine. Have you unsuccessfully tried just rebuilding the database?
    Thanks,
    Jan

------------
    pete at 11/10/00 9:16:26 AM

Sorry about the first one caught the wrong key.

Myself and a good friend did a days testing wioth replication and whenever we made a change to the NT setup of the machines then the replication fell over. So the only way that we could get around the problem ( you are not going to like the sound of this one ) as you can not uninstall replication was to completely rebuild the machine and tart again. Very radical and probably only something to try as a last resort. We decided agaiinst replication until we got to SQL7 becuase it is so bad in SQL 6.5 and pretty good in SQL 7.

Sorry if this is no help or it has just destroyed all hope of ever fixing this but replication is so bad in 6.5 that we put a whole project on the shelf because of it.

------------
    Jan Garver at 11/1/00 2:55:15 PM

One of the folks I work with has begun to have a problem with replication. The NT Sysadmin folks did an "autoload" on the production system, and since then the replication has not synched successfully.
    It runs nightly, but the next day he has to redo all the views and permissions, then it is ok.
    I have checked Microsofts web site, and some of the other public forums, but have not seen this problem.
    Do you know where we can begin to check? I'm not really familiar with replication, he's been working with it for about 3 weeks, so any assistance or direction is appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Jan
    Oh, he has tried so far to unsubscribe, he's even deleted the tables on the subscriber, but none of this has had any effect.

Pete Guest

------------
    Jan Garver at 11/10/00 1:35:58 PM

Pete,
    Thanks for the reply! That is the direction we were headed, but we thought he might be able to just rebuild the database, rather than the whole machine. Have you unsuccessfully tried just rebuilding the database?
    Thanks,
    Jan

------------

Myself and a good friend did a days testing wioth replication and whenever we made a change to the NT setup of the machines then the replication fell over. So the only way that we could get around the problem ( you are not going to like the sound of this one ) as you can not uninstall replication was to completely rebuild the machine and tart again. Very radical and probably only something to try as a last resort. We decided agaiinst replication until we got to SQL7 becuase it is so bad in SQL 6.5 and pretty good in SQL 7.

Sorry if this is no help or it has just destroyed all hope of ever fixing this but replication is so bad in 6.5 that we put a whole project on the shelf because of it.

------------

Thanks,
    Jan

Pete Guest

Wrong key again.

Jan

I am not sure whether we did or not all I know is that we had it working the first time that we did it, then we changed from a workgroup to a domain and everything fell apart. We tried all the rest of the day to get it going again but to no avail, we even rebuilt the machines about three times but could not get anywhere.

That is all I can remember apart from the fact that we shelved a replication project until we move to SQL 7 of which it is a lot better. ( Thankfully that is in the next month that we go completely to 7 )

Pete

------------
    Jan Garver at 11/10/00 1:35:58 PM

Pete,
    Thanks,
    Jan

------------

------------

Thanks,
    Jan

Paul Guest

Hey guys,

What is the specific problem with 6.5 replicaton? I have bi-directional replication on 6.5 (sounds unbelievable doesn't it) and it seems fine. what is the specific errors that your getting??? What kind of replication are you trying to obtain???

-Paul

------------

Thanks,
    Jan

Jan Garver Guest

Paul,
    Thanks for your input, the problem is fixed, at least for now. He didn't have to take quite as drastic a step as Pete did, he was able to remove and reinstall replication, then republish and resubscribe by deleting the subscriber database and recreating a shell. It seems as though a new server was defined, so replication must be turned off and then reinstalled on the new server - they were not aware that the server was totally new. Root cause seems to be communication - how often that is the case.
    Thanks again for yours and Pete's input!
    Jan

------------
    Paul at 11/15/00 2:28:54 PM

Hey guys,

What is the specific problem with 6.5 replicaton? I have bi-directional replication on 6.5 (sounds unbelievable doesn't it) and it seems fine. what is the specific errors that your getting??? What kind of replication are you trying to obtain???

-Paul

------------

Thanks,
    Jan