Thread: Cobol Data file to SQL Table conversion

Monoos Guest

Cobol Data file to SQL Table conversion

I am a novice in data base designing. I have MS certification in both design, implementation and administration. Can anyone help me provide information regarding converting from Cobol flat files to sql server tables ?
    I will be very grateful.. This is my first assignment.. Got to prove myself... help....

Dano Guest

Cobol Data file to SQL Table conversion (reply)

BOOKS ONLINE... BCP. Bulk Copy Program.
    One warning: After making your *.fmt file it is sometimes easier to change all data types to SQLCHAR. BCP will still let you put non-char values into appropriate field structures. If using SQL 7 you should read about DTS Data Transformation Service.
    (MS cert hugh?)

------------
    Monoos at 7/8/99 2:41:03 PM

I am a novice in data base designing. I have MS certification in both design, implementation and administration. Can anyone help me provide information regarding converting from Cobol flat files to sql server tables ?
    I will be very grateful.. This is my first assignment.. Got to prove myself... help....

{;} Guest

That is a bull.... you CAN NOT pass SQL test if you don't know how to do this. I can bet on that.

------------
    Monoos at 7/8/99 2:41:03 PM

Jagan Rao Guest

SQL Server can&#39;nt recognize cobol flat files. You will have to convert cobol flat files to sequential format with column delimeters and end-of-row <CR> which gives you a text data file. I am sure there are some tools available for this kind of conversion. Also make sure there are no non-printable characters in the text data file.

Then you can use BCP or DTS to export into SQL.

Jagan

IRI NextForm has an Eclipse GUI to map data in COBOL and other flat file formats into SQL Server and other RDBs.