Thread: 6.5 compatibility mode: How good is it?

Matt Skalicky Guest

6.5 compatibility mode: How good is it?

We have some users who are nervous about our upgrading to SQL Server 7.0 even though we will use 6.5 compatibility mode initially while we work through 7.0 upgrade issues in the applications.

Has anyone had bad experiences with the 6.5 compatibility mode feature? Just how good is it?

Cheers

Matt

Jagan Rao Guest

6.5 compatibility mode: How good is it? (reply)

No need to nervous about 6.5=>7.0 upgrade. You can work on both the versions without any minor problems but you can keep only one version running at a time. You can also keep all your databases in both the versions assuming that you have enough disk space.

We have recently converted a 5 GB database with several text fields and now it's size only 1.5 GB in 7.0

Jagan

Matt Skalicky Guest

Actually what I am asking is: in a SQL 7.0 Environment, if I set my database compatibility mode to 6.5 will my 6.5 apps work OK or are there any gotchas I should know about?

Thanks

Matt

------------
    Jagan Rao at 7/16/99 2:29:22 PM

No need to nervous about 6.5=>7.0 upgrade. You can work on both the versions without any minor problems but you can keep only one version running at a time. You can also keep all your databases in both the versions assuming that you have enough disk space.

We have recently converted a 5 GB database with several text fields and now it's size only 1.5 GB in 7.0

Jagan

Steve Hindmarsh Guest

Matt,

there are some issues here - for example, you cannot change the compatibility
    mode of the master database.

I have hit problems where Microsoft changed the code of some system stored procedures - for example, sp_databases, so that users need different permissions from in 6.5 to run this procedure correctly. Obviously, changing the compatibility mode was not an answer here...

The only real answer in this situation I think is to convert one of your test 6.5 servers to 7.0 and test your app thoroughly......

Hope this helps.

Steve Hindmarsh.

------------
    Matt Skalicky at 7/19/99 1:10:11 AM

Actually what I am asking is: in a SQL 7.0 Environment, if I set my database compatibility mode to 6.5 will my 6.5 apps work OK or are there any gotchas I should know about?

Thanks

Matt

------------
    Jagan Rao at 7/16/99 2:29:22 PM

Jagan