Thread: Transferring backups between servers

Praveena Guest

Transferring backups between servers

Hi!
    I have weekly full db backups, daily differential log backups and transaction log backups every 15 minutes on the prod. db server. What is the fastest way to make the staging server have the current version of the db. in the production server? Do I always have to take a full db. backup on the prod. server, zip the file, copy the file to staging, unzip the file and then restore it on staging? Is is possible to use the existing combination of full, diff and trans. log backups to make the restoration process faster?

Thank you

Praveena

Srinivasan Ramamoorthy Guest

Transferring backups between servers (reply)

HiPraveena
    Try to copy the file from operating system(db and transaction log).
    and paste it in the staging. Try this method.

thanks
    srinivas

------------
    Praveena at 8/27/99 2:58:59 PM

Hi!
    I have weekly full db backups, daily differential log backups and transaction log backups every 15 minutes on the prod. db server. What is the fastest way to make the staging server have the current version of the db. in the production server? Do I always have to take a full db. backup on the prod. server, zip the file, copy the file to staging, unzip the file and then restore it on staging? Is is possible to use the existing combination of full, diff and trans. log backups to make the restoration process faster?

Thank you

Praveena

Srinivas,
    I shall try this method and then let you know the outcome.
    Thank you

------------
    Srinivasan Ramamoorthy at 8/30/99 1:03:33 PM

HiPraveena
    Try to copy the file from operating system(db and transaction log).
    and paste it in the staging. Try this method.

thanks
    srinivas

------------

Hi!

Thank you

Praveena

I get the error message, "Cannot copy file 'filename'. The source or destination file may be in use" Does this require stopping SQL Server service?

------------

Hi!

Thank you

Praveena

Diana Williams Guest

When copying using NT explorer, you have to stop the service first. Check out BOL for keeping a warm backup server.

I use the NT command 'net use' to map the remote server as a local drive and then do a full restore every night to the standby server (I schedule the job for after the production server has made it's backup of course). Periodically throughout the day, you can set up a job that will restore the differentials and/or the transaction logs to the standby server in the same manner that you did the full backup.

This method is much faster and more reliable that trying to copy database files back and forth between servers. By mapping a drive to the server you are restoring to, you can treat it as a local restore. If you are not sure how to map a drive, talk to your NT Administrator or you can contact me and I'll send you the command. It can be done either at the command prompt or in Query Analyzer using the xp_cmdshell extended stored procedure.

------------
    at 8/30/99 3:49:48 PM

I get the error message, "Cannot copy file 'filename'. The source or destination file may be in use" Does this require stopping SQL Server service?

------------

Hi!

Thank you

Praveena