Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Restoring database on a different Server does not allow users

Sri Kasam Guest

Restoring database on a different Server does not allow users

Hi,
    When you restore a database from one server to another, there are a couple of things to take care of.

1. Standard SQL Server logins -> If these don't exist already or if they have mismatched sids from database..sysusers, a system stored procedure sp_change_users_login will take care of it

2. Integrated logins : a) Domain Users/Groups b) Local Users/Groups

In this case there are three possible solutions.. i) You can create the logins if they don't already exist and then Update database..sysusers with the sid of the login you just created

This is not a recommended approach as I don't want to update system tables, especially as this is such a frequent problem and there should be a better approach.

ii) You can do sp_dropuser, sp_addlogin and then sp_adduser for the login that you just created... This will not work if there are objects owned by this user

iii) You can just create the logins for Domain Users/Groups and their sids will automatically match to the ones in sysusers as they are global sids This will definitely not solve my problem with local users/groups Also, how do I find from sysusers, which NT user/group is Local or Global??

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks!

Sincerely , Sri Kasam (MCSE)

Craig Guest

Restoring database on a different Server does not allow users (reply)

What is your question?

------------
    Sri Kasam at 8/26/99 2:43:58 PM

Hi,
    When you restore a database from one server to another, there are a couple of things to take care of.

1. Standard SQL Server logins -> If these don't exist already or if they have mismatched sids from database..sysusers, a system stored procedure sp_change_users_login will take care of it

In this case there are three possible solutions.. i) You can create the logins if they don't already exist and then Update database..sysusers with the sid of the login you just created

This is not a recommended approach as I don't want to update system tables, especially as this is such a frequent problem and there should be a better approach.

ii) You can do sp_dropuser, sp_addlogin and then sp_adduser for the login that you just created... This will not work if there are objects owned by this user

iii) You can just create the logins for Domain Users/Groups and their sids will automatically match to the ones in sysusers as they are global sids This will definitely not solve my problem with local users/groups Also, how do I find from sysusers, which NT user/group is Local or Global??

Thanks!

Thank you very much! Guest

------------
    Craig at 8/27/99 1:13:07 PM

What is your question?

------------

Hi,

Thanks!

------------

What is your question?

------------

Hi,

Thanks!

------------

What is your question?

------------

Hi,

Thanks!

------------

What is your question?

------------

Hi,

Thanks!

------------

What is your question?

------------

Hi,

Thanks!

------------

What is your question?

------------

Hi,

Thanks!

------------

What is your question?

------------

Hi,

Thanks!

------------

What is your question?

------------

Hi,

Thanks!

------------

What is your question?

------------

Hi,

Thanks!

------------

What is your question?

------------

Hi,

Thanks!

------------

What is your question?

------------

Hi,

Thanks!

------------
    Thank you very much! at 8/27/99 7:38:19 PM

------------

What is your question?

------------

Hi,

Thanks!

------------
    Thank you very much! at 8/27/99 7:38:19 PM

------------

What is your question?

------------

Hi,

Thanks!