Thread: BACKING UP SQL 7.0

Jeanne Speranza Guest

BACKING UP SQL 7.0

I just got SQL 7.0 and was curious how other environments run their backup. I know ArcServe has a product that backs up open SQL databases and not sure how reliable this product was. Any thoughts would be appreciated .. thanks.

Allen Armstrong Guest

BACKING UP SQL 7.0 (reply)

We're running BackupExec from Veritas (formerly Seagate). Its a good product, works well with our tape loader. It will back up open databases (and/or filegroups if your using them). I think it does support backup of open files also... We just got it and are still testing it out

------------
    Jeanne Speranza at 9/2/99 9:18:48 AM

I just got SQL 7.0 and was curious how other environments run their backup. I know ArcServe has a product that backs up open SQL databases and not sure how reliable this product was. Any thoughts would be appreciated .. thanks.

Craig Guest

Still not sure why folks pay for a third party tool when the backup provided by SQL server does the same thing.

We are using 1 defined maint. plan per server that does the backup daily, transaction log backups every 3 hours on all user databases, and DBCC's during off-peak hours. It is done when the database is up and users are on the system.

We have had few if any issues with backups.......Craig
    ------------
    Allen Armstrong at 9/2/99 11:22:39 AM

We're running BackupExec from Veritas (formerly Seagate). Its a good product, works well with our tape loader. It will back up open databases (and/or filegroups if your using them). I think it does support backup of open files also... We just got it and are still testing it out

------------
    Jeanne Speranza at 9/2/99 9:18:48 AM

Senthil Guest

I do support Craig in this regard. MS Sql server has got a good backup wizard which is easy to handle and this is working fine in our concern for past 6 months without any hitch or hurdle.