Thread: DTS on NT Client

Zorica Guest

DTS on NT Client

Problem with DTS

I can use DTS on SQL Server 7.0 (lets call it SRVR1)to get tables from Oracle 8.0.5 database on Unix and/or on NT, but when I want to do it from my PC which has MS SQL server 7.0 (desktop version) and client installed, and SRVR1 is registered in Enterprise Manager, to run DTS where source is Oracle database and destination is SRVR1 using Import/Export Wizard., after specifying ODBC connection for Oracle as source and clicking 'Next', (which when done on SRVR1 leads to the next screen where you specify destination) on NT client it does nothing, no error is reported and you can keep on 'Next' hundreds of times, it goes nowhere.

I tested ODBC connection to Oracle from my NT client and it works fine, except when used with DTS.

I welcome any suggestions.

Regards,
    Zorica

Ajay Guest

DTS on NT Client (reply)

I had the same problem, I used the Microsoft Oracle driver..But where you put the server name as the machine name it will not work , Insted at the server name you have to put the oracle Service name and it will work provided the user and password you are using has proper permission in oracle.
    please let me know if this works
    Regards
    AJay

------------
    Zorica at 10/18/99 3:08:32 AM

Problem with DTS

I can use DTS on SQL Server 7.0 (lets call it SRVR1)to get tables from Oracle 8.0.5 database on Unix and/or on NT, but when I want to do it from my PC which has MS SQL server 7.0 (desktop version) and client installed, and SRVR1 is registered in Enterprise Manager, to run DTS where source is Oracle database and destination is SRVR1 using Import/Export Wizard., after specifying ODBC connection for Oracle as source and clicking 'Next', (which when done on SRVR1 leads to the next screen where you specify destination) on NT client it does nothing, no error is reported and you can keep on 'Next' hundreds of times, it goes nowhere.

I tested ODBC connection to Oracle from my NT client and it works fine, except when used with DTS.

Regards,
    Zorica

Zorica Guest

DTS on NT Client (reply)

Ajay,

Thanks for your help. I have 3 Oracle services running on my PC (OracleServiceORCL, OracleStartORCL and OracleTNSListener80. I tried them all, but none worked. I also used TNS name in ODBC driver, it works on the server but not on the client. On server I can do it in 3 ways: MS OLE DB provider for Oracle, Creating User DSN (specifying TNS name for Oracle) and using Microsoft ODBC for Oracle (32 bit) and also using DTS Wizard Microsoft ODBC Driver for oracle specifying DSN Name for Oracle on Unix. None of it works on client, including specifying Oracle Service instead of server name. I connect to Oracle as SYSTEM and have all preveliges.

Regards,
    ZOrica

------------
    Ajay at 10/18/99 4:14:42 PM

I had the same problem, I used the Microsoft Oracle driver..But where you put the server name as the machine name it will not work , Insted at the server name you have to put the oracle Service name and it will work provided the user and password you are using has proper permission in oracle.
    please let me know if this works
    Regards
    AJay

------------
    Zorica at 10/18/99 3:08:32 AM

Problem with DTS

Regards,
    Zorica